SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrchicago

Need advice on a "slim" profile (narrow depth) island hood

Jamie F.
6 years ago

We are remodeling the kitchen in our 1920s bungalow. We're taking out the wall between the dining room and kitchen, which also currently houses the stairs to the unfinished attic and the basement. The attic stairs will be relocated, but the basement stairs will be refinished in the current spot; half-walls ("knee walls") will be built on either side of the stairs, which will separate the kitchen from the dining room. Due to some space limitations*, the oven/range will be on the other side of the half-wall that is in the kitchen, facing the dining room (sort of overlooking the stairs to the basement). Since it's on a half-wall, we plan to install an island hood for ventilation. My concern is that the typical depth of island hoods are around 27", which I fear may be too deep for an "island" that is actually just a regular-depth counter (around 27" deep, with a 30" wide slide-in range). Does anyone have experience with this set-up and/or a narrower depth island hood?

Advice/ideas/photos appreciated!

* Space limitations because, in favor of opening up the kitchen to other areas of the house, we're losing two walls that would otherwise provide space for upper cabinets. If the range moves to a wall (rather than the planned space described above), and we install a wall hood, that means even less space for upper cabinets, which is already very limited (i.e., the current plans have room for three uppers and a single pantry cabinet).

Comments (10)