SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdrieker

Need help with a long narrow kitchen

Jennifer
6 years ago

I have been attempting to make room in my kitchen remodel for a large 6-8 foot island but our space isn't large enough to make that work without making sacrifices we don't want to make. I had been planning to remove a load bearing wall to make that happen. It seems very expensive to do that and not end up with the kitchen we really want.

So I have started looking at the space we currently have to see if I can find a layout I love without removing that load bearing wall. Here is the current space. It is pretty narrow (just under 10 feet from the fridge wall to the wall with the range. The eating area in the upper right corner is actually a bay window so the table is recessed slightly into that area in real life. I really dislike the corner sink and the desk next to the fridge is just a waste of space. I also dislike how far the fridge sticks out into the room. I also dislike having the microwave, cooktop and oven all in one stack.

There is a wall right where the 156" yellow arrow is located. It has a 3ft doorway from the kitchen into the dining room.

This is the best layout I could find with these parameters:

keep the load bearing wall and window locations the same

separate fridge and freezer units that are counter depth

wall oven/micro cabinet with a separate cooktop

no corner sink

more cabinet storage than what we have now

Is this a terrible layout? The fridge and freezers seem a bit far away but they would be easier to access for drinks/snacks from the family room. Any thoughts on how to improve things?

Comments (30)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES