SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Some good, and some not so good things going on in my garden

Lisa Adams
6 years ago

Well, I guess I'll start with the not so good.

I have discovered rose midge on one of my roses, just one so far. This rose is potted, and I have wondered why it has never bloomed. Not ever. When Jim, over one the general Roses forum posted some pictures, I had a revelation. Sure enough, burnt looking new growth that crumbled off at the slightest touch. Since this rose is potted, I guess I'm going to buy a nasty soil drench, and cut off and discard all the growth on this rose. At least I'm applying the stuff to an isolated barrel, not the garden bed. I know the stuff isn't meant for pots, but if the rose dies, it dies. I just hope I noticed in time. Not the clearest photo, but most falls off when I touch it..

Next not so good thing. One of my favorite dahlias was laying on the ground yesterday. I haven't needed to stake it much before, and its been in the ground for about 4 years.

This morning, I discovered the reason. Gophers! They've never bothered this one before, but I guess as I plant more and more in gopher cages, they eat what's left out.

Now some good things.

Although heavily virused, Mary Rose is a constant bloomer. She puts out some beauties! If only they would last!

The Faun continues to do well. I love the little, full pink blooms.

The young Evelyn is doing well

The hillside is a bit neglected, but Evelyn is really pushing up new canes. The new growth does look a bit pale, though. Maybe some acidic fertilizer?

My first bloom on Crepuscule! I should have taken a photo a few days earlier, but at least I caught it before the petals fell.

Well, that's all for today! Lisa

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!