SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

Honey, the shed is in the wrong place. :-( Or August transplanting :-)

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're planning on adding a utility shed to our back yard. I had it all staked out and ready to turn in the application for the permit when the wife brought up some concerns. We would be losing the ability to 'drive thru' from the front to back yard and end up with a large space between the old garden shed and the new utility shed. So we moved the stakes and of coarse the reason I didn't do it this way in the first place became apparent. There would be a tree in front of where the riding lawn mower door would be. But it was a superior location for the shed, so time to move the 6ft spruce that I brought in last Spring. Not my first choice but really after I thought about it, planting now 'up north' is not the worst idea. We've been experiencing nights in the low 60's and 75 for highs. Day are getting shorter and rains tend to increase by end of August. So maybe transplanting now is not so 'Taboo' as it would be further south. Also the extra time the tree would have to grow more roots this late summer & fall would be a plus and I would think and the tree is not actively growing to any extent on topl so why not?

Step 1. Dig the hole at the new location. Estimated depth same as estimated root ball depth or slightly less. Bigger diameter though.

Next pull the stakes, get the mulch off and tools ready. I was surprised to see how much the roots have grown since spring with surface roots out to the original mulch diameter.

Got it dug around a 32" diameter about a foot deep. I had watered the whole thing earlier so estimated weight was around 300 lbs.

Could lift that much so tipped it up and got some plywood under it and wrapped some nylon strapping around the root ball and pulled it up the ramp using the ATV 4 wheeler. Once I got this far my hand were so muddy I couldn't stop to take pictures. Lost some of the dirt but most of the roots were in the top 10" anyways and the root ball was very dense so I did pretty good with percentage of roots salvaged.
Here is it in the new hole. Again, muddy hands kept me from grabbing the camera so no pictures of the tree on the sled or me pulling it by hand. :-)

Finished product. Now just have to keep it watered and sprinkle the branches so it doesn't dry out. I've heard that the whole eastern part of the country has been cooler than normal so if that keeps up, I may get away with my August transplant.

And the best part. I no longer have a tree in the way of the new shed.

Comments (68)