SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda99999

Subway tile shower: niche 3/8" higher than 2nd niche. Noticeable?

amanda99999
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Would you notice if niches on opposite walls 5.5' apart, niches diagonal from each other (1 near back wall, 1 near shower curtain), were 3/8" off height-wise?

Walls are 3"x6" white subway tile, 50% offset, Bright White grout. Shower total size: 5.5' x 3' x 83" high (i.e., shorter than usual). Painted white ceiling. Some visual clutter could divert my eyes I think? (slide bar for handheld shower; fixed head other side; grab bar along back wall.)

The niches will be tiled with the same 3x6 subway tile, grout lines to
match w/walls as if continuous 50% offset, bullnose on inside like
photo. (except the tile above and below the niche are cut - neither are full tile like photo.)

The only reason I think I will notice is b/c of the subway tile - straight line pattern. I'm hoping you all tell me I'm ridiculous. Tile guy is willing to re-do whatever I want, and if not now we'll never re-do it, but weighing that against the fact that we are VERY tired of reno work. He'd have to rip out 2 tiles deep from all edges of the non-shelf niche to get to the screws to move it up 3/8".

Do you think I'm stuck using white grout? I.e., I was thinking of going light gray, but do you think then I would notice the 3/8" difference?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor