SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpigott04

Flooring, Stairs, and general design advice DESPERATELY needed

Courtney W
6 years ago

Our home currently has very dark engineered wood flooring in 2 living spaces, 2 dining spaces and 1st Stair tread and riser, and travertine tile in the entry, kitchen and fireplace surround. Its not the flooring I would have selected (I hate how every spec of dirt is visible on this dark of floors), but that's how it was when we bought it. I don't consider this property my "forever home", so replacing decent looking, perfectly functional flooring was never a priority.

We recently had a weather event that caused major roof damage and ultimately caused irreparable damage to the wood floors in one room. The flooring product has long been discontinued so all rooms of wood flooring have to be replaced. Thankfully this is being covered under an insurance claim.

Since I now get to select the replacement materials I want to go with something lighter in color, possibly with grey undertones and dark gaining to still coordinate with our dark kitchen cabinets (which I love) and run it continuously throughout the first floor (replace travertine as well in the areas that have it currently). Here's my dilemma:

The previous owners PAINTED the Handrails, balusters, Newels, stringing, and moulding DARK brown. See pictures below. I'm willing to come out of pocket to some extent to better the aesthetics but don't want to spend a fortune on modifications that won't add significant resale value.

Any advice on this issue or design suggestions (possible solutions / materials / color schemes / etc) would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (14)