SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_smallhome

Desperately Need Landscaping Advice :(

organic_smallhome
16 years ago

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and could really use some assistance in deciding what to do with our landscaping. I posted on the "landscape design" forum, too, before I realized it was for professionals only. I hope somebody can help us out with suggestions. I've bought a few books and have done some online research, but my head is just spinning. I'm learning things, but both my dh and I are complete idiots when it comes to trying to plants/gardening/landscaping. We don't want to use chemicals and have tried the organic route for about 3 years. The upshot: the backyard is practically all weeds and the grubs merely laugh at our efforts to eradicate them. So, we have decided that perhaps a mixture of shrubs and groundcover is a better bet. We live in a south-facing cape style house in a suburb of Boston; it's our first (and perhaps last) house. I've posted a few pics in case any of you green-thumb, experienced folks might have some suggestions for us. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.

Front of house:

{{gwi:30873}}

Left side of house (from front):

{{gwi:30874}}

Right side of house (from front):

{{gwi:30875}}

Backyard (facing back of house):

{{gwi:30876}}

Backyard (facing away from back of house):

{{gwi:30877}}

Backyard (another angle):

{{gwi:30878}}

Last pic (next to deck, leading to front yard). The previous owner planted hosta here, which looks great until July, and then it gets burnt by the sun. I thought hosta was a shade plant?:

{{gwi:30879}}

Comments (14)