SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
confused_remodeler

Need Perspective on General Expectations and Advice Please

Anonymous Poster
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm entering the final weeks of a major addition and remodel. We've worked with a custom remodeler who is highly reviewed by past clients and professional organizations. Generally, I agree and I try to count my blessings. Nonetheless, I'm finding some of the problems and responses we've had pretty confusing. At this point the relationship with our GC and PM seems strained. We don't have other experiences to compare to and lost some faith in our PM early on. I've spent a lot of time reading about and wondering whether we're being unreasonable over the last few months and I'm dreading the punch list walk through.

When issues arise generally the response is along these lines-- stuff like this happens on every job, sometimes we get caught up in our own processes, your job has had a lot of specifics and details, your house is going to be beautiful, most homeowners aren't this involved, we'll make it right, and a typically a repair (on occasion a replacement) is suggested after some time and/or push-back. I'm really in need of perspective and advice.

To be clear my interest is in understanding and ways to improve things. If my expectations are out of line I want to adjust them. I do not have any ill-will or interest in negatively impacting the GC or PM. I just want to understand what's happening and how best to move forward. So many things have gone right or better than expected, but after completion we'll have spent in excess of 100k for contracting overhead and profit, so it's been challenging to understand and accept some things that have not.

We've used an experienced designer that they have worked with for several years extensively , so I don't believe failing to specify at the right times, being unclear, or disorganization on our part are major factors. I am sure there are things we could have done differently too. None of the things on the list below seem unreasonable to me on their own-- its just taken as a whole.

--Skip this section for TLDR------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- A large quantity of original brick we wanted/needed to save was thrown out. We were nearly unable to finish repairs without using new brick. There was never any intention of painting the brick, which was known since the bidding phase. The brick is also a size that is no longer produced. I spent a lot of time digging through debris piles to scrape together enough to just barely finish. There was an apology which seemed genuine and statement about how things happen quickly, etc. This was disappointing, but I don't expect even the best to be able to prevent something like this at all times.

- I was the first person to bring up a joist that was rotten despite work being completed around it repeatedly over preceding months. I originally spotted the white fluffly growth from a distance without even entering the crawlspace. Weeks went by without this being investigated after I brought it up until my husband stepped in and escalated it.

-The subcontractor installing the crawlspace vapor barrier reminded our builder beforehand to remove debris that had been created. This didn't occur and holes and stretching of the reinforced plastic we upgraded to became apparent almost immediately. One section was later repaired at our request, but it wasn't even the one we'd expressed the greatest concern about. Our builder didn't seem to understand why we're concerned about it. Wouldn't most people be upset about broken cinder block under a new barrier that needs to be crossed every time you have to access the furnace after paying for an expensive sealed crawlspace job? This is one of those items where a repair really doesn't feel the same and where there do seem to be real concerns about function and longetivity (at least to me), but to be clear we haven't demanded replacement. We also had to ask for large holes in several areas that let in moisture rich air from outside (e.g., from under porches) be closed.

-For several months we asked in writing and in person about filling gaps around our new windows and patio door. Our patio was powerwashed and our new subfloor, which new hardwood floors installed on top already, has large water stains. Again, I was the one who made the discovery weeks after this occurred. They assured me it is now dry and the floors will be ok. This area was the same location where subfloor and joist had to be replaced shortly before due to active fungus and rot, so part of me is still afraid this could have spurred regrowth. As someone with really difficult to control asthma this one really got me, but to our builder's credit he did respond thoughtfully and promptly.

-A new toilet rough-in in concrete ended up being further from the wall than expected. 14" rough-in toilets and trim were pushed during trim out. It was usually explained as an idiosyncrasy of the house. There were statements about how they'd tried to get more room and it came back to bite them. We were never approached about this change during framing when it was made. Luckily I researched and measured for myself and discovered that even with a 14" rough-in toilet (few of which even exist) there would be at least 2" more space behind the tank than expected . It would have required compromising on features and aesthetics on our part. I had to hold my ground for a couple weeks, but they did fix it and install what we selected months prior. The work required by the plumber and tile sub did not seem to take more than a few hours each, so the impact appeared to be limited mostly to delaying the final plumbing inspection by a few days.

-We didn't have a great experience with the supplier during plumbing rough-in and I ended up ordering a lot of our light fixtures. This was something that was communicated repeatedly in person and via email over several months. I also never approved the final order. Thousands in light fixtures I had supplied were duplicated and delivered. This was after I emailed the GC and PM the final list nearly 2 weeks before delivery. Originally, I was told the restocking fees would probably knock out most of what I'd managed to save. It sounds like this will mostly work out in our favor, but we had to stand our ground and lost some good will. We also had to accept line voltage stair lights with a different color cover plate after providing matching low voltage lights and communicating repeatedly about these and the low voltage element prior to install. Again, in this scenario it only bothers me when looking at how things compounded.

-It sounds like initially our electrician didn't intend to trench under where our driveway was to be poured to run power to outdoor lighting. Our PM said he didn't think it was required, because it's low voltage, but the fixture has always been line voltage and code even called for empty conduit to be buried. I don't believe that if I hadn't pushed back and cited code that it would have ended up being buried.

-There is a section of our driveway that slopes back toward our house with little ground between the foundation and driveway. Our natural grade is in this direction, but the main reason we were given this ultimately occurred was because I stressed that they try not to disturb the trees further after we'd lost 1 (more likely 2) mature trees from what appeared to be extensive/nearly exclusive use of a bobcat during removal of the old driveway and grading. The subcontractor told me he didn't need to go further in towards the trees and it was never clear to me that it meant the driveway would slope back toward the house about 4 inches over a 12' span. This all seemed like it could have been prevented by just cutting the trees shallow roots beforehand and with a little bit less rushing through prep to pour before a large rain. Electrical was being trenched under the driveway and forms being set less than 2 hours before the concrete truck was scheduled to arrive. We communicated extensively that we were deeply concerned we weren't ready. Ultimately, we agreed to regrade and replace one small section of this area and to a buried perforated drain tying into our footer drains for the other. There will be no cost to us, which does speak to our GC wanting to make it right, but I'm hoping we won't regret this in the long run. I really do believe everyone has good intentions and I want to trust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We review details proactively and make ourselves available. As things come up we communicate about them to try to avoid small problems becoming ones that are difficult or expensive. We've been able to get a running list implemented, but in our opinion have generally lacked an effective system for this for most of the project. This list was nearly 7 pages long when we were anticipated to be 3 weeks out from inspection for C.O. Many of the items are things we've asked for in person or in writing since the rough-in phase that were put off even after multiple return visits by the relevant trades. The list is predominantly items like outlets that didn't function, items that weren't installed even though we're past final inspection for that trade, etc. Few paint touch ups were included on the list. Some of these items stem from difficult/inability we've had with getting new finishes covered/protected. We've been asking about and sharing concern about this since rust stains appeared on the surfaces of new cast iron tubs shortly after they were installed (due to wet nails being left inside). After scratching first appeared on a new marble counter it continued to be left uncovered. We also have new metallic marks in the tubs. I understand that things happen and they plan to polish, but it feels like complacency may be a factor too.

I'd understand completely if we nickel and dimed and ended up at this point, but we rarely even ask detailed questions about items that ended up costing more than expected. We have never threatened to withhold payment. We've communicated quality as being very important to us, have been willing to pay for it, and are not concerned about delays. What expectations have been reasonable or unreasonable? Is this on par with your experiences? What can we do now to improve the situation? Would it be helpful to see if our designer may be willing to help us get during the punch list process or would this be highly unusual? I don't want to make anything more difficult for anyone involved and hope this can remain another anonymous posting where others help me find the best way to keep moving forward. Thanks for taking the time.

Comments (10)