SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_hayden_esq

Replace Microwave/toaster oven with speed oven/convection microwave?

Bill Purcell
6 years ago

Hi all:

This is my second post in what is likely a saga of kitchen remodel related decisions. This one is about the wisdom of replacing our current microwave/toaster oven with a combined appliance, likely a speed oven but possibly a convection microwave as well. We currently have a built in standard microwave with a countertop toaster oven. Ideally we would like to combine the two appliances to gain some counter top space after the remodel. The appliance would be in an undercounter installation so I had originally planned on a microwave drawer until I began exploring incorporating the toaster oven functionality into the microwave to simplify our appliance setup. We use our toaster oven weekly and the microwave close to daily. We mainly use the microwave for heating up leftovers whereas the toaster oven is used for small amounts of baking/broiling or when we want to cook something relatively quickly and don't want to wait for our electric wall ovens to heat up. We rarely actually "toast" anything but usually just use the toaster oven as a smaller, quicker oven.

So, with this usage, would the posters here recommend a convection microwave/speed oven? If so, which implementation would be advisable (convection microwave vs speed oven)? It seems that the difference between a convection microwave and speed oven is pretty nebulous with some speed ovens that are only powered at 120v essentially acting as convection microwaves since they cannot have multiple elements going simultaneously. There is not much price difference between the nicer convection microwaves and speed ovens so it isn't really a cost savings to go with one over the other. I am a little concerned about the loss of a true baking function since all of these units rely on convection baking alone. Is this justified? Also I am concerned that an undercounter installation on these devices will be cumbersome with the fold down door as opposed to a microwave drawer.

So, I am greatly interested in the input that those here have on my situation and would especially love to hear from those that have experience with convection microwaves and speed ovens. I have done a lot of reading through the archives and it seems as though speed ovens are much more popular here than convection microwaves. The GE Advantum line is interesting but unfortunately my undercounter installation needs rule those out.

Comments (22)