SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Vanity top tower storage

mrspete
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm choosing bathroom cabinetry, and I'd like some input on storage towers that sit on top of the vanity. This is the basic layout of which I'm thinking:

Note that the vanity pretty much has to be 6' ... "S" stands for sconce ... and I'm thinking that 4' would be devoted to the sink ... and the tower would be 2' wide and shallow (leaving some space in front). I do not want two towers "flanking" the sink ... that feels too "enclosed" to me.

I'm pretty well set on white cabinetry, an absolutely lovely aqua-blue-watercolor arabesque tile (with white tile to fill in). You'll note that NONE of my examples even remotely match that color scheme ... I'm just thinking of layout here, not style.

Would you put a set of lights ABOVE the mirror as well as the two sconces on the sides?

We want a small TV somewhere in the bathroom ... would an upper cabinet in this tower work well for that? It would be easily viewable from the tub, and at 4'11, it's not like I can use the upper shelves anyway.

How deep is appropriate for this type of storage tower? I'm thinking something like 10" deep? So not really good for towel storage.

Is 2' too wide? Would 18" wide feel more proportional? Now I'm thinking that 18" would allow more space for the mirror and two sconces.

I am very open to thoughts on whether the above is a good plan or not.

Do these specific towers have any pros or cons that I might not be anticipating?

I'm thinking I might like the two extra drawers in this above example.

What about open space? I think I would like some open space for quick-access items like Q-tips and cotton balls. I think I like this set-up (downsized to one sink) ... the tower contains a bit of open storage and a bit of closed storage.

Would you go with a single 6' vanity ... or a separate 4' sink vanity plus a separate drawer stack for storage? Do you like it higher (as shown) or would you want a single piece of countertop? Now I'm thinking this gray cabinet is my favorite set-up.

I'm thinking that I like the examples with some glass best. The one above looks too "closed". Agree or disagree? And would this be less "overwhelming" if the tower didn't reach the ceiling? Or is it that the mirror isn't quite big enough to balance out the tower?

This one is very similar to the one above, yet it seems more proportional ... I'm thinking it's because the tower doesn't go to the ceiling and because the hardware isn't so prominent.

All thoughts appreciated!

Comments (18)