SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

54" vanity--how to config for maximum storage

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I'm looking to design the master bathroom vanity to maximize storage. I'd had the dream to do something like this, where the sides have a shallow drawer and a pullout underneath. (my impression was that the pullout would make it easier to access stuff like shampoo, lotion, mouthwash etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I talked to a custom cabinet person and she said the pullout sizes for bathrooms are 6" and 8.5" wide. Or they could use kitchen cabinet ones, either 11" or 14" wide. Will any of these proportions look good on a 54" vanity? If I had a pair of 11" wide pullouts, the sink cab would be about 32". If I used 14" pullouts on each side, the sink would be 26".

She also said all the pullouts come the height of the cabinets, so....I'd be paying the full price of the pull-out, which they'd have to cut down and then paying the price for the drawers on top. We didn't run the numbers but it seemed like it was getting $$$. When she sketched some ideas, she thought a 54" vanity could looks nice with a bank of 18" drawers on each side. (shallow on top and then two deep ones.)

I googled pre-made vanities to get ideas. There seems to be two camps:

1) wide drawers on each side and then sink doors

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/dcor-design-london-stanmark-54-single-bathroom-vanity-set-with-mirror-dcrn4463.html?piid=20620792

2) doors on each side and bank of drawers in the middle. Have pullouts behind the doors?

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/highland-dunes-haider-55-single-bathroom-vanity-set-w001148141.html?piid=740858973

I want to maximize my storage, esp. for tall stuff like shampoo bottles, and I want to be able to see what I have. Today I have a horrible short vanity with unusable boxy drawers. I also have an ugly but amazingly useful tall 12" deep wall cabinet that has been a lifesaver. It's easy to see everything. But that's getting demo'd (and there's no place to replace it). So I've got to maximize this vanity, and use medicine cabinets, and maybe recessed shelving. (or any other ideas of bathroom storage trickery. I'm all ears). I don't have a proper linen closet, so we're trying to build something elsewhere.

Thanks for any thoughts and help!

Comments (16)

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

My suggestion would be to do a drawer underneath cupboard doors. This way items in the cupboard would be at a higher height and the drawer pulls out for easy access. Maybe a bank of drawers in the middle. Hope this helps.

girl_wonder thanked Angel 18432
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Angle thanks. I was considering a tilt-out under the sink but you made a good point about the drawer at the bottom and higher cupboard. Thanks!

• Helen
    5 years ago

I just finished a bathroom remodel and my sink cabinet has a roll out. I'm utterly confused by what your designer is saying - I just said that I wanted a pull out under the sink and it was done. It runs the width of the sink cabinet and the sides are pretty standard. I wasn't really concerned with how high the sides were because I wanted the pullout because prior to my remodel, anything stored in the back of the sink cabinet was effectively in the Black Hole of Calcutta.

I also did a relatively narrow pull on one side with a plug and the top "shelf" has cutouts so that I can put my hairdryer in there facing down - as well as any other styling tools.

girl_wonder thanked Helen
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Helen, would you be willing to post a pic (or drawing) of your vanity. Sounds interesting. Thanks for your help.

• Eileen
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I prefer drawers over a pull-out that loses space and costs $$$$.

You can't do 18" drawers on each side. That leaves you 18" for a sink cabinet. No plumber will fit inside there.

Your problem is the tall economy size bottles. They won't fit upright if you do three drawers. They might fit in two deep drawers but you lose your top shallow drawers for small items. I don't have enough small items for even two shallow drawers so I used three drawers on each side with one shallow and two deep. You also don't want to do inset drawers and lose inches. Every example you show has inset drawers.

You might decant mouthwash and lotion into decorative bottles for the counter instead of designing an entire vanity around those few items.

girl_wonder thanked Eileen
  • Helen
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

These are not great photos - I have a narrow bathroom in a high rise so it's hard to get photos. Before the remodel, I had two sinks but I decided to have a vanity so I could comfortably groom instead of the second sink since I have never had issues in terms of needing to use the sink simultaneously and the guest bath sink is literally five feet from the bedroom door if lives depended on two people washing their face simultaneously :-)

There is a drawer underneath the counter in the vanity area.

My designer asked if I wanted some kind of tilt out drawer in the sink cabinet but I couldn't imagine what I would wind up storing in there.

The orange tape is where I wanted to have them touch up a bit. Mirror still isn't finished - astounding how long everything takes to get down. The sconces over the sink were finally installed but they couldn't finish the lights in the vanity area.

These are the bathroom cabinets - There is a tall cabinet to the right of the vanity area which has a large hamper on the bottom and shelves on the top.

This what is behind the narrowish door to the left of the vanity area. In lieu of two narrow shelves I installed two rollouts. That is the part I don't understand since it appears that your designer said you could only have only rollout installed - if I understood your initial post. I have two rollouts which function as well as drawers would be especially since the drawers would be narrow. The flanking cabinets look less busy than drawers would have and I don't think I lose any function by having opted for rollouts instead of drawers.

And of course I have drawers above each of the cabinets so functionally I have three drawers in each cabinet.

I didn't compare prices for each possibility as I based my decision solely on what I wanted in terms of design and function. I can't imagine the cost would have been very different - and in the scheme of things, considering how much a bathroom remodel with tile shower costs - any additional cost would be a pittance in terms of percentage of cost.

This is behind the narrowish door to the right of the vanity and is configured to hold brushes and blow dryers. There is only one pullout but I might have a second one installed depending on whether it blocks access to the hair stuff when I finally move everything back in. I am still in the process of moving back.

This is behind the narrow door to the left of the sink - It has two rollouts

This is the rollout underneath the sink.

girl_wonder thanked Helen
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Helen, thank you SO MUCH for all the pictures and the explanation. You're a star! BTW, this made me LOL:

the guest bath sink is literally five feet from the bedroom door if lives depended on two people washing their face simultaneously :-)

I'm in your camp. After showering, my DH often used the guest bath since it had been remodeled and had a taller vanity.

Maybe I described the cabinets wrong, but I was thinking of pullouts like the spice-rack pullout some people have in their kitchens, like this

https://tinyurl.com/y52jmbou

Maybe your pull-out drawers are the way to go. Interesting....

My current vanity is horrible and low, and the drawers only have clearance of 7". I think deeper drawers (or pull outs) could help.Your pictures give me hope. I can't be the only person in the world trying to store a few extra shampoo and lotion bottles. This problem can be solved ;) Thanks again!

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I like drawers either side of sink of multiple depths. Narrow top drawer, deeper bottom

Marble Master Bathroom in San Diego · More Info

girl_wonder thanked Cheryl Smith
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Cheryl! I saved that photo to my ideabook just a couple days ago. I was so enamored of the hex tile floor that I didn't even noticed the drawers, lol! thank you!

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Just looked at your ideabooks. You are doing it right. Saving everything you like in pictures will help you decide what to do before anything else.

girl_wonder thanked Cheryl Smith
  • calidesign
    5 years ago

Drawers in a variety of heights give you so much more storage space than pullouts.

girl_wonder thanked calidesign
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Calidesign for chiming in. Thanks Cheryl for that info. Yes, the four narrow drawers don’t look very useful. But your dog is super cute so that makes everything ok. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. I‘ve been back and forth on plans for awhile, There is a lot to learn! I wish I knew all of this when I started. Just yesterday I was thinking, well if I ever do this again I’ll know so much more at the start but .... there is never going to be another time, lol!!!! Thanks again.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I finally found 1 tall drawer in my house. It's in the kitchen and the clearance is about 8" tall. Presto. Every "tall" bottle can fit. What a miracle. The drawers on the crappy low vanity are 7" tall--who does that? Just one inch more would have made a huge difference. So I think I may join Team "Tall Drawer" and also put pullouts under the sink.

If I have taller drawers, I'm wondering if I could still put a drawer under the sink cabinet. Here is someone's compare and contrast

My vanity is only 4.5' long so the proportions would be a little different. But maybe this last idea could work? What do you think? Then maybe a u-shaped pull out under the sink?

Hmmm...I just googled and did not find anyone who did a u-shaped pullover and then a drawer beneath. Maybe keep the center doors and have two layers of pullouts in there. (maybe the extra work/cost of the separate drawer isn't worth it. Plus with the proportions, maybe doors-only is a cleaner look.

thanks everyone!

• calidesign
    5 years ago

I would combine your drawings to have one set of doors under the sink, but with three drawers on the sides so you end up with deeper drawers. That gives you one tall space in the middle for a toilet brush, tall packages of extra TP, etc. I don't think a low shallow drawer would be useful for much.

girl_wonder thanked calidesign
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Cali! I think you may be right!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH