SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
providencesparrow

Horizontal venting of range hood in new build?

Cross posted to kitchen forum-

We are in design stage of new build. Currently in the two story design, the kitchen range hood is directly below a bedroom so architect (who has been amazing) is suggesting we run the vent horizontally for approx 10feet and have it terminate out of the side of the house. (This would be on the exterior at the height of just above the first floor ceiling).

Our builder is concerned w the performance if placed horizontally for this long and suggests moving an upstairs closet to allow the vent to go straight up and terminate on the roof. He is concerned about grease/grime build up if vent exhaust runs horizontally.

I actually trust both of these pros so I am a bit conflicted. Any thoughts or experiences with horizontal runs vrs running it vertical for two story?

***I do want to add that adequate venting is a big priority for me in this kitchen. I often cook three times a day, everything from fried okra to blackened catfish to grilled cheese, waterbath canning etc.... I need a vent that seriously sucks. In a good way.

Comments (14)