SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Help reimagine 7'x8' bath?

maddybeagle
6 years ago

(Cross-posted with some variations from the Bathrooms forum)

Help me redesign my bathroom?

I'm working on decisions about a partial remodel of my main bath, and I need help thinking about design elements and especially how to make the best use of the 8'-long wall that currently houses a too-shallow tub and too-small separate shower stall. I want a soaking tub + shower combo – but how to arrange it along the wall? Ideas and inspiration welcome.

Design goals: a lighter look overall; open up the tub-shower wall so it's not segmented by a full-height wall and light from the window reaches across the room; respect 1920s house without being bound by orthodox period style.

Background: When I bought my house six years ago, I did a light cosmetic update – painted the bath "Chinese Orange," had a new blind and shower curtain made, and replaced the toilet. Imminent plumbing failure in the tub means a chance to get the tub, tile, and sink I really want, and do something new color-wise while I'm at it.

I would KEEP: toilet (Toto Promenade); storage area beside toilet (which is incredibly useful and structurally hard to change); blind and shower curtain, which I still love – and would pick up one or more of the lighter colors in the fabric (very pale robin's egg blue, grassy green?) as the keynotes for wall and tiles.

I would REPLACE: tub and shower, floor and wall tiles, vanity, medicine cabinet, and lighting.

I would LIKE TO: have more towel-and-robe-hanging space and make room for a towel warmer or second radiator on the window wall near the toilet if possible.

A sketch of the existing layout:

Some views of the existing bathroom:

Tub and useless (tiny, claustrophobic) shower stall, which currently serves as a mop closet:

View from door. Toilet would stay; vanity, medicine cabinet, and light fixtures would be replaced. I envision adding doors in front of those shelves in the back left corner:

View from door along tub-shower wall:

Closeup of the blind and shower curtain fabric. Colors are truer here than in the photos above.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)