SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkliveng

ISO Layout Assistance - Planning/Drafting Stage

jkliveng
6 years ago

Hey GW Folks,

Hoping to get some assistance on planning my kitchen. My future home has been designed and I want my kitchen to shine. My goal is an efficient kitchen that makes it very easy to stay clean. Storage is most important.

Going down Buehls list of things to include:

- There are 2 adults and a toddler, and we hope for more kids. Zone 7 in NC

- 1.5/2 kitchen workers. Mostly me, with a little help from my husband. Once toddler is old enough, I want her in the kitchen with me (learning tower).

- We do cook a lot and hope to cook more with a better kitchen.

- I see my kitchen as a cooking spot (no stools). Dining area right need to kitchen to be homework and party place.

- We entertained before the kid was born, but since then it's been near impossible to allow people into our cluttered home. Bottles, sippys, plastic wear, etc have taken over. I want to entertain more in the new home. It would be casual entertaining, football, bbqs.

- I prefer to use the island as a buffet table during entertaining, instead of seating. I am also using a slab of a bowling alley as my island so I am somewhat limited on the size, the slab isn't wide enough for hangover and I wanted 24" storage on both sides.

- No separate dining room. Dining table by the kitchen (don't have it yet, probably a 6 seater). For larger gatherings in nice weather we will use plastic tables on the porch with folding chairs and linens. My MIL does this for thanksgiving and it's been great.

- Windows can change slightly on the east side, I already have an elevation in mind there that I love. North side windows can be changed. (this isn't truely east and north, just top and left on the photo).

- Bake a fair amount, don't need beverage center, snack center to be in pantry.

- Range - no cooktop, prefer microwave in pantry but willing to change. Fridge is counter depth. Yes vent hood. Appliances have not been picked yet but I have planned for common sizes and fridge on the end can be whatever.

Now onto photos/layouts. This is IKEA's software, each square is 1 ft. I will be using IKEA cabinets and wish to do soapstone tops with the wooden island. I am aware of water issues with the wood, so I may use the bowling alley slab for a table. We will see.

- Here is the kitchen side of the house. Drawing has 2 islands but I have decided against that, as you will see in my plan. Views are to outdoor area/garden/retaining walls. Beyond that is woods.

- Overall vision.

- Some overall details, ceiling height, hallway, etc from above.

- Working zones:

- Dimensions of everything:

- Where I was planning to put everything. I made a list of pretty much everything in my kitchen. Then I divided it into what I wanted in the kitchen and what I wanted in the pantry. Then I broke it into zones-ish and gave it a space. A few things I am concerned about:

- Location of everyday plates/bowls - guess I should keep spices in the kitchen, I could swap this drawer out for one that has a skinny upper and two medium sized bottoms and use the top for spices?

- Location of silverware/knives

- Location of utensils for cooking, including measuring things. I would like to not use a canister?

- The drawer to the left of the oven (G) would touch the drawer to the right of the dishwasher (E) if they were open. Is that okay as long as they'd rarely be open together? I don't even know what I will put in E.

- Should I make K more drawers? I need a place for dishtowels and that seems like a good spot but I dont need a super deep drawer for that.

I think that's everything, please let me know your thoughts or where I could improve.

Thank you,

J

Comments (16)