SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adkbml

Draft - Suggested details for a floor plan review post

adkbml
8 years ago

One of the great aspects of internet forums is the ability to "crowdsource" an idea. Unfortunately the format of this particular forum does not allow for "pinning" some core information at the top of the page for all to reference. I thought I would gather some thoughts in a draft format to help those thinking of posting an "input on my floor plan" type post. Here are my ideas for guidance, please add your ideas and I will post a final version after the comments/suggestions settle down. The general idea would be to guide individuals to providing the best possible inputs for a better result in their post.

Stage you are at in the design process - Are you are just dreaming, getting really close to starting your effort (within a year or two of engaging with a designer / architect / builder), or in the process (already engaged with a designer / architect / builder).

General location and land features

- What is the general climate of the location you are building in? A general location such as Northern, Southern, Mid-West, East Coast, West Coast, would do. Alternatively it could be something like temperate, hot, cold winters, etc.

- If you have land already picked out or purchased, are there features of that lot that you want to take advantage of (great views in a certain direction, or possibly not-so-great views that you want to avoid).

- Do you have a general idea of orientation of the posted design on the lot (which way is north).

- Do you plan to have a walk-out basement?

Stage of life situation

- Do you plan for this to be your "forever" home (you plan on never selling).

- What is the general makeup (and count) of the people that will be living at this home now or in the future - for instance is it just you and a spouse, there may be kids in the future, there are young kids now, there are teenagers now, the kids might be coming for a visit, your parents are/plan on moving back in with you.

How important is the relative cost (which can be very different based on area). For instance do you want this to be as economical of a build as possible, or is cost not really a factor.

Is there a particular "style" of exterior look that you are trying to achieve? Possibly a farmhouse or cottage look, or a cape cod, or federal style?

Are there other design factors you are attempting to achieve or avoid? This is a catch-all bucket, but could include things like a specific orientation of rooms, open floor plan, desire to entertain often, need to have a home office, etc.

Comments (8)