SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christabottomley

Disappointing rough draft of floor plan.

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We signed a pre-construconstruction agreagreement with a builder who we feel is a good fit and has a great reputation so we submitted two versions of our floorplan to have them draw up (which they said in previous meeting was resonable for our budget). Here they are below:

Plan A:

Plan B:

But what came back to us as a rough draft has taken out many key components of our plan (like many storage or high-function spaces). Also, some of the accessibility has been lost (which is critical for our son who uses a walker). We didnt have details in the main floor bathroom or the Master Suite upstairs because I though a pro would be more resourceful/creative than me but I was disappointed by what came back.

We need an accessible bathroom on the main floor, a large enough laundry for a U of cabinets that is accessible, some serious storage in the mudroom, and enough room for a table for 8 and counter to seat at least 6 (we have a large family). We have to kids sharing a room to save space but we need good storage and high funtion because we homeschool and both work from home.

I intentionally left room for something more workable/functional than what was drawn up so I’m not sure what happened. The whole plan was drawn up with less square footage than what we put in our proposed ideas.

Their rough draft:

They said we should expect 2-3 revisions but Im feeling like this has been a very rough start and at this rate it will take more than twice that much time. I hate to become the ”Bridezilla” of home building but we are spending a lot of money here and are hoping this home lasts us for a few decades.

Is this just a normal part of the process? Do I need to just expect there to be a lot of back and forth on this? How much is ”too much” perfectionism and where should I be adjesting my expectations? The origional proposed plans are borrowed from other sources so I know these are viable plans, they just need to be made into usable blueprints.

Comments (12)