SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahmee10163

1st Draft Architect Plans: Kitchen placement opinons

ahmee10163
5 years ago

Hello,

I don't normally post. I mostly read through discussion to educate myself, but I wanted to get other people's opinion on our 1st draft plans. My husband and I differ in opinion so I wanted to hear perspectives from others who might bring more insight to help us along.

Here's a bit of background for perspective (not sure if this helps): Currently there is a sunroom that occupies the back of the house which is not legal living space. There is a back bedroom with a window that looks out into this sunroom (hence a code violation). With our architect we have explored different options to solve for this, and we have come up with a "budget safe" version and a more ideal $$$ version. The more ideal $$$ version entails moving the kitchen. Yes, this is $$$ so we are being cautious about how far we take this. We are briefly exploring this option since we have a decent budget from selling our previous place, and a similar house across from us was recently renovated with an updated layout and sold $350k over what we paid for ours (plus they don't have the 180 city view). This scenario really works for how we want to use the space, allows us to have more access to the view and bring in more natural light inside the house. In addition, it would place the 2 bedrooms next to each other. We live in SF and it's quite common for houses to have bedroom scattered (on different floors, in different parts of the house, or access to a bedroom through another bedroom).

Version 1: Kitchen and back bedroom swap. My husband really likes having the kitchen in the back of the house because it's where we spend the most time in, we would enjoy the view while cooking and have direct access to the deck from the kitchen. I'm not 100% on this version because it leaves an awkward space between the living room and bedroom. We would place our dining table there but it's a bit of a dead zone. Or am I wrong and it's completely fine?

Version 2: The kitchen is moved to the middle of the house and the dining room and living room occupy the back of the house. I like this version because I feel it utilizes the space better, and I like the idea of having a large common area that has full access to the deck and view. Is it better to have the kitchen by windows? Is it weird to have a dining table near the kitchen island. It seems excessive considering the small size of the house.

Did I provide too much info? Too little? Need more photos?

Comments (17)