SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craigericnicholson

Just received a bill 2 years after my landscaping/yard was installed

craigericnicholson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

All,
As many of you know when building a large home there is a lot going on. My build took 18 months. My yard and landscaping were done about the time we moved in just a little over 2 years ago. About 8months ago the landscaper stopped by and said "Hey I forgot but I never billed you for the grass" Well my wife handles the finances (she's a math major and I'm a Sales Guy dummy) So I said I'm not sure I assumed we were paid up. I said he'd have to talk to my wife. Well today I received a bill for over $11,000 from the landscaper. It's been over 2 years since installation. He wants payment for the grass and lighting. also has a bunch of random one off things like a yard of mulch 1 load of topsoil. He also had hand wrote at the top that it was the 3rd notice. Well Im not sure if he forgot, but he stopped by and told me he forgot to bill me so I know its BS that this is the 3rd notice.

Quite honestly at this point I'm in a different financial situation than I was at the time and do not have it budgeted in. I'm not even 100% sure all the charges he has listed are legit We were much more on top of it 2 years ago when we did the landscaping. I'm sure he will come back with quotes, etc. but how can I trust the numbers he showing me? SHould I trust the numbers? Should I refuse payment? I know that sounds self serving but he could be making numbers up. I tried finding the origninal quote but cant locate it anywhere.

I'd love to hear opinions from the pros on this board on how this situation should be handled. I mean over 2 years later seems crazy to come back asking for partial payment on a job. I dont want to be a d*ck but if I did stuff like that in my job I'd be fired.

Is there, should there be a happy middle ground? Should I pay in full? Should I tell him to go take a hike?

Comments (3)