SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelson_ohio

just received my Ipe shipment from East Teak

nelson_ohio
16 years ago

I have started on my deck, got done with most of the framing, still need to correct a few things, and plan down a few spots. I will post pictures once I get set up.

Got my shipment from George this afternoon, all 4000+lbs of it. 1650 LF of 1x6, plus 4x4, 2x4, 5/4x6 for railing cap and some other stuff. Here are my first impressions and questions:

1) The biggest problem I noticed right away is the check/crack in the 4x4. Out of the 14 pcs of 4x4x48, 6 has full length check/crack along the 48" length, 4 of these had multiple check/crack in that direction that looked like spider web. A few were wide enough I can dig in with my nail easily. They are in terrible shape. These crack/check also shows on the 4x4 end, going across the whole width, corsponding to the exact check location on the other side. I'm wondering if the wood will split along these lines. If this is the quality of product they are offering, I will not consider it acceptable. I will have to talk to George soon to see what he is going to do about it. The other 4x4 that are 6Â and 12Â has almost no check/crack at all. All the ends where they were cut has a very heave coat of the max, and it did not seem to have helped any.

2) Measured about 12 pcs of the 1x6 with a caliper. Width varied from 5.25 Â 5.45, maybe 1 pc was 5.5. Consistent with what I have read here.

3) The belly effect is minimal, less than 1/32" from the ends to the middle, so thatÂs good. Maybe only 1 had 1/32" difference.

4) Thickness. About 6 pcs were 0.725-0.735, 4 were about 0.74, 2 were actually 0.75. Not sure if this is normal or not. The sample I got from them was 0.745.

5) Length. all were at least 1/2" longer or more.

6) Have not had a chance to see how much bow they have.

7) Appearance. There were at least 8-10 boards that looked old. The surface looked like they been laying in mud for a long time, with water marks and everything. Can these be restored back to look like the other pieces? Do I have to sand them and RAD? I mean they look really bad. IÂm worried they will not match other piece that looks new.

8) They were very liberal with the use of the end wax. Most pieces shows that stuff at much as 1" from the edge, and some dripped on the boards as well. It darkens the wood by a lot. How easy is it to remove them and will it show as discoloration after sealing it? I donÂt know if RAD will do the trick or not.

All and all, not yet sure about this, mainly because of the issue with the 4x4. I will talk to them and see how this will be resolved.

Comments (5)