SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjdiersen32

Replacing/reusing an old shower drain in slab-on-grade floor?

Chris D
6 years ago

I've demo'd our small master bath to the studs, and am in the early stages of a complete remodel that i'll be doing entirely on my own. So far I've found only one item that I'm unable to locate a solution for, either online or in the various books I have on hand. Our house is a 1956 slab-on-grade construction ranch in southern California. The shower drain is original, and is 1 1/2 inch iron, Here's a picture. it's pretty bad.

My assumption is that i'll be busting this out of the floor and replacing it and some of the pipe (to the P-trap? past it?) with 2-inch plastic. This thing was reduced to a less-than 3/4 inch opening when I first got down to it, it was so caked with debris from over the years. I'll be building a pretty simple shower in this bath; no need to re-locate the drain, and just a standard mortared-in pre-slope and tile floor with tile walls.

I've been able to find endless information on 3-piece shower drains, and how to install them in wood floors. I've been able to find very little information on how to deal with old slab-on-grade shower drains. Can this be re-used? Is there some sort of shower drain product specifically for replacing old shower drains in slabs? I'm not opposed to just busting this out and replacing it. I have the tools and the know-how. The vent isn't far from the drain, and I'd go all the way to that junction with new pipe if it made sense, but there's a lot of work to do on this project, and I'm not looking to make more work for myself needlessly.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH