SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonnabuildit

Help flooring pros - hardwood floors or cabinets first?

gonnabuild
6 years ago

Still trying to educate myself on nail down hardwood floor installation. Have another question about hardwood installation. We're doing a flooring and kitchen remodel that will entail gutting the kitchen and ripping up most of the first floor tile and carpet to be replaced with nail down handscraped white oak hardwood flooring, including the kitchen. My plan was to do all of the demo including floors, put the hardwood down wall to wall, then set cabinets on top of the new floors, and scrape/finish near the end of the remodel. Seems to make most sense to me.

Most of the flooring contractors I've had bid on the job agree, but a couple have said that they won't do it, as any leaks in the kitchen would cause the floor to buckle, pushing up the cabinets ruining them, and likely cracking the granite counter tops. While certainly possible, my view is that while unlikely, but if it were to happen that's what insurance is for. I would also think that it would be a much bigger hassle to try to get the appliances level with the new floors, and would cause much bigger headaches if we ever decided to change the kitchen footprint in the future.

Pretty sure I'm going to do the wood under everything, but just wanted to get your professional counsel and experience before making the final call. Thanks again for your amazing support!

Comments (4)