SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Entry Pics??

Boopadaboo
6 years ago

Can I see your entry? would love to see pictures.

I have sort of an L shaped entry. I think I need a rug in front of the door and then down the little hall that leads to the kitchen.

Would you get the same ones? or try to coordinate? I think I would make myself nuts trying to coordinate, but I love the look of two rugs another posted for other rooms recently.

Comments (41)

• User
    6 years ago

I think I'd get the same rugs because I would also have a hard time trying to coordinate and be asking on here! Ha. I'm sorry that's no help. Do you have a photo you can post?

• Related Discussions

CL purchase, cherry entryway table....pic...

Q

Comments (6)
    My suggestion would be to move the table so that it is completely on the tile, move the lamp to the other side, re-center and lower the picture, put your boxes on top of the console and add one larger piece to the top...perhaps a bowl to hold keys or mail. Adding baskets or a plant to the lower shelf would look great, too.
    ...See More

Would love ideas on entry decor (pic)

Q

Comments (23)
    Okay, I'm back! First, let me thank you so much for all the ideas. You have no idea how much I appreciate them. I also would like to thank you for your patience if I'm a little slow catching on. I went out to Kirklands Home today to buy a couple things for the living room (another disaster area) and I met up with a teacher friend of mine. She's got the Summer off and her and her best friend said they love to decorate and we are planning to get together in a couple weeks. I'm so excited!! Anyway, I bought the coat rack and put it where the chair was and cleared out a few things. Maybe you can give me yet some more ideas on where to go with this? Thanks so much! Here's the stuff I cleared, can I reuse any of them? Please excuse the nosey cat.
    ...See More

Quilt show entries (pics)

Q

Comments (19)
    Congrats and they are both stunning!!! But I have to admit I love the oddball! My first attempt at hand dyes didn't turn out as I had hoped, but I do want to try again. Yours look gorgeous. Rosa
    ...See More

Help chosing fixtures. Lots of pics.

Q

Comments (27)
    True monica, I am not a very modern person and I am trying to move the room in a more traditional direction. It isn't a very large space but I want it to feel kind of grand without being gaudy or cluttered. But it must maintain it's practicality because we do actually live in the room with our 2 young sons. Decorating my home has presented quite a challenge for me to say the least. Monica, I finally got him to take the trophies out by just giving him his own space. And I also told him that since he thought it was okay to turn a space we SHARE into a hunting lodge then I would be painting our bedroom pepto bismol pink. He was finally able to see that the spaces we share should suit BOTH of us. We struggle to find that balance :) OSH, I do really love those and I so appreciate the insight and advise. I need to give it all some more thought, I've seen so many chandeliers the last few days my eyes are going crossed. Who would have thought this would turn into such a huge decision? sheilaaus122, all of the fixtures I found on chandelieruniverse.com Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant
    ...See More
  • Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

LOVE the pictures Lynn. thank you so much for sharing! All absolutely Gorgeous. The bench is amazing and that painting above it lovely. Looking again at Lynn's pics! my kids would love those eggs. and that whole hutch vignette is such a welcoming way to enter the house! The door and sidelights are lovely too.

I do want to get a new door someday. I would like one that is all glass like I had in my last house. Not sure what DH will say about that. :)

Here are some pictures:n this is from the listing so you can see that it is open and there is currently green carpet on the stairs :( I Loathe the paint color but am ignoring it for now. It is on the list of things to change.

some from today I would like to replace this mat by the front door. it is a strange space though. Would you put a runner in front of the door?

family room · More Info

then there is the space by the stairs. I am not in love with this table and mirror but the PO left it and DH likes it.

family room · More Info

and then the little hall to the kitchen:

family room · More Info

Some art I put up that I love

family room · More Info

the DR needs to be painted too, but for now I am working with it and this is the rug in there:

family room · More Info

• roarah
    6 years ago

I have a tiny L shape entry and my house has lots of oriental rugs and colorful walls and a faux wallpaper pattern on my hall walls so I chose a long and short sissle rug for my entry. They are cheap from ikea but hold up to pool water, snow boots, spring mud and cats very well.

Boopadaboo thanked roarah
  • IdaClaire
    6 years ago

We have a Waterhog mat at the front door, but alas no other rug or runner in the foyer. I considered it (even posted about it here to bounce around some ideas), but DH pretty much nixed the idea. He felt minimal (bare floor) was best, and since he's the one who does the cleaning I acquiesced.

Boopadaboo thanked IdaClaire
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

What beautiful spaces everyone!

Boopadaboo thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • LynnNM
    6 years ago

Boop, I was headed down to town right after I posted this morning. Home now, but have to get dinner started. I will post some ideas I have for you tomorrow.

Boopadaboo thanked LynnNM
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    6 years ago

Here is our entry in PA. We don't have a rug, we have a tile "rug" made of tiles.

In our Florida house, we have multiple rugs, all different:

This is looking straight ahead from the entry.

And side view at night, this is the room you see from the entry over the little alcove.

Boopadaboo thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I'd love to take a pic of ours when it's daytime, but not sure it will be helpful since we don't have rug there and I don't plan on one. It's old red saltillo tile (with grout in between that our guys weren't able to clean lol)..I'm not worried about it being ruined..:) also it's Southern CA..not like it snows or something. I did buy two long rubber rugs for outside(there, and backyard)

The texture and color come from the tile itself it being rustic and all..it's also small well defined space..don't want to break it so to say

what we did do-we cladded the sides of the steps (it's raised) with this star and cross mosaic

and DH insisted on changing the row of most beaten tiles. I kinda was fine with it..especially now one can see the big difference in the grout, so to me was kinda worthless endeavor, but whatever.

(DH did buy all sorts of small rugs/mats on his own initiative..looked like a competition "which one is fuglier"..I told him these things stay outside of my house. Well maybe I added "over my dead body")

I love your entries!

For your entry-I'd try to coordinate..and choose pattern and all..but then I love driving myself crazy..:) that's a good sort of crazy

if I can choose between crazy -I'd choose to be crazy over coordinating rugs, definitely so

Boopadaboo thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

PS if the door hallway leads straight to the kitchen-then yes, why not a runner

but can't say I completely understood the layout

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Here is my entry way. We have an open concept home so I struggled finishing this out because it had to complement the adjacent great room. My favorite item is my rug--it was an eBay find.

Boopadaboo thanked mom2sulu
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

This won't help you, Boop, but it's the 6 x 6 entry porch in my old Cape. Featuring perhaps my biggest CL bargain ever, an antique German hutch/ schrank that the PO paid over 3k for at a pricey shop in Kennebunk, ME. They were changing the decor style in their summer home in Ogunquit, ME, and just wanted it gone. It was listed for quite a while, as I wondered how I'd get it home, but the top separates from the bottom, and it came home on the top of a friend's 4Runner on the 4th of July, 2013. I paid $150. She also gave me some free chairs! The storage available in this piece is amazing. This is just after we set it up, so there is nothing on the upper shelves.

Now that I have 'stuff' stored in it, I have lined the glass with Document gift wrap to keep it neat looking.

On the opposite wall next to the door into the garage is this shelf that a friend and I made from scrap.

One the wall between the pantry and porch (door to garage on left) is this wooden clock that I faux finished years ago.

Boopadaboo thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

your entries are beautiful. I'm enjoying this thread so much..

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Just took quick pics of my entry, since I have a few rugs all within close range of each other. I obviously have a rather eclectic/informal style with more mixing than some people might be comfortable with!

Boopadaboo thanked Sueb20
  • Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mom2sulu - stunning. totally love the photo and the rug and the entire vibe!

Always love your pictures my3dogs. your home is amazing. Love that gorgeous cabinet! and the decorative touches are so lovely. the animals in the shelf you made are adorable!

Sueb20 - thank you so much for sharing. I think if you looked and looked on line you might never put those rugs together and they all work! it just goes to show maybe you do not need to be so nuts about it. :) That entry rug is lovely and the rabbit mask is so interesting. I love the collage too.

You all are giving me great ideas!

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Thanks, Boop!

I have to echo as well what a great thread. So many talented people here-- I love to see all the different styles reflected and done so well!

Edited to add: Also, so nice to see people's personalities in their homes. That is what is missing so much from the typical Houzz pics--homogenous copies. lol

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago

That rabbit mask! Sue -- can you tell us more?

(Sorry for the highjack, but that mask is too good to ignore!)

Boopadaboo thanked IdaClaire
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

mom2sulu I'd think typical Huzz pics are uploaded by pros, maybe? they have a different agenda-to show the plan, design, lines, materials.. They're not into showing personality, they illustrate their product..the design

Here, it's totally different perspective

That's why frankly I never look at Houzz pics lol. I have Pinterest for inspiration. I prefer to see the houses here..:) that mostly not shot professionally and all..Still to me that what houses are about.

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

april-

You are so right on all you said! I actually am thankful for those Houzz pics. There are lovely to look at for just what you said: planning, designing.... esp. when we were in the beginning stages of building a house.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Boop, to answer your question, yes, I do think that a small runner could work there in your foyer. I can't copy your entry photo, so that I can add a runner into it, but here is one I quickly found on Amazon.com to give you an idea of what I mean.

"Kapaqua: Rubber Backed 3'4" x 5' BEIGE Floral Area Rug Non-Slip - Living, Dining, Room, Pet & Kitchen. $34.85". You could, of course, go with an Oriental or Middle Eastern runner, but I would stay at 5' long and about three feet wide. I don't know if you need a heavy duty rug like this one, that will stand up to wet and dirty feet, and pets. Or, if this is a low traffic entrance. I was also wondering if, with kids, you'd want a nonskid backing. I have a runner in my main hall that has only a lightweight rug pad under it and our dogs mess it up 50 times a day! I love it, but it/they drive me nuts straightening it constantly. BTW, I love the art on your walls and that wonderful green decorative jar in the corner of your foyer. I noticed your Foo Dogs, too. I like them all, but was puzzled at which direction to take with a rug, more Asian, or not. Anyhoo, this will at least give you some idea as to what I'm picturing in there.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

The rabbit mask is from our trip to Venice...hmm, maybe 8 years ago now. I thought the whole Venice mask thing was so trite until I got there and actually saw them! We found the most magical little shop, and of course we had to bring one...oops, two...home. The other one is more traditional and sits on a shelf in my home office.

Boopadaboo thanked Sueb20
  • Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i somehow missed beagles pictures before. So lovely, your DR in Fl is one of my all time favorite rooms! thank you so much for sharing too.

OK well it is amazing how much inspiration you can get here. Something you said Lynn made me think that I did at one point like greenish things grouped together AND i had a rug that used to be in my kitchen in my last house so I went on a search and found it. :)

Now - there is a rug/mat right outside the front door on the porch:

Entry · More Info

So I wonder if I really need an entry rug in the house too. especially in the warmer months. maybe in the winter? but this is also not a heavily used door as you pointed out. we use the garage to enter the house far more often. So maybe I could get rid of the rug by the front door for now and just put this one:

Entry · More Info

Entry · More Info

I also swapped out the things on the table (I love foo dogs but the blue and white were not my favorite) and added some bunnies. and swapped out the picture on the wall for one that I do love too that has a green mat.

Entry · More Info

What do you think?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I think it's cool. love that rug

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

LOVE the new changes! The "new" rug looks great there, as does the new art on the wall. And the bunnies!!! Good changes on the hall table, too, as the blue Foo dogs just did not work there.

• roarah
    6 years ago

Love that look

Boopadaboo thanked roarah
  • Honu3421
    6 years ago

I love the changes you made.

Boopadaboo thanked Honu3421
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

the bunnies are adorable, I'm sure they like it there, a lot

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yay. I am happy with the direction it is going! I have a copper plate that I thought might look good on a plate stand on the entry table in the middle of that stuff. I have to get a plate stand though. It is kind of like this

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    6 years ago

Love your *new* green rug and sweet bunnies, Boop! The whole space already looks much better imho :)

Loving Sue's bunny mask - definitely more interesting than the typical Venetian masks! Everyone's entries/hallways are wonderful. Sadly no pics to share of ours at the moment - it's a work in progress as we're getting ready to sell soon.

• micheletx
    6 years ago

Wonderful to see such diverse styles. Just goes to show you that you can decorate with something other than gray and white. :) This is my entry. The pic with the orchid is how it looks today. When the orchid quits blooming and before I get a new one, I use the copper bowl.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thank you raphaellathespanishwaterdog Me too! I can't wait to hang the pics wiht the frames from my other thread. I love coming down the stairs now! I almost can ignore the wall color and the tile. :)

Lovely Entry Michele!

I think maybe I need something in the green urn thing?

I actually found a plate stand.

Entry · More Info

• micheletx
    6 years ago

We have a lot of unusual pieces in our home. When we bought our home a few years ago, the previous owner asked me if we had any "normal" furniture. Some of our weirdness is in photos of my home in my profile.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Boop, I really love your 'new' green rug and the arrangement on the tabletop. Nice job so far. The only thing I would recommend is try something with the jar in the corner below the 2 beautiful paintings. The color is perfect, so maybe pull the jar out a bit and add a bundle of twigs or something organic. It seems to need a little more height there.

Not that this will help you because my foyer is pretty sparse (due to big dog with a monster tail), but here are a couple of pics. No rug since there is a hardwood pattern in the perimeter and we don't use the entry all that much.

To he left is the study and to the right is the dining room

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How beautiful Oly! I LOVE the floors and the door and the box with the books. the mirror looks perfect in that spot too.

I totally agree with you. that vase needs something.

what do you think of these options from Pier one? any other places I should look?

A mix of greens:

forsythia - (so bummed that the deer at the bushes that were here when we moved in. they are little nubs :( Forsythia was my mom's favorite. )

some kind of brown silver dollar spray ( comes in white too I think)

Hmm these are 41inches tall too. Maybe with some of that foam at the bottom? I have a hard time picking out fake plants/flowers!

• micheletx
    6 years ago

Boop, what about a live plant? I have an aversion to fake flowers and plants.

A chinese evergreen or spathiphyllum would look nice. The plant next to my fireplace is a chinese evergreen.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Thanks Boop!

I'm not a huge fan of fakes either, but the coppery silver dollar leaves might work since you have some copper tones going on with your accents. A live plant always works. I was just trying to add more height to the existing urn. Bare twigs look more 'real' to me than going overboard with fake flowers. Although I am a fan of forsythia too.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gosh I am a mess. I missed commenting Roarah's pictures too (LOVE that color and the rugs. I am amazed they hold up so well) AND I called outsideplaying Oly. Sheesh - I blame it on the malware attack on our company and that I have not had a day off in a almost a month! Well until yesterday which was great!. :)

I get the idea of a plant in that corner Michel and Outsideplaying, but I don't understand how it would work with the big green vase/urn thing. and that was a gift (many years ago, but I like it) that I think I would like to have there.

Am I missing something? can you put a plan in an urn like that? the opening is not very big.

I have become obsessed with getting my house set up for some reason so I was planning to go to Pier one today but it is pouring out! I may wait till tomorrow. Any other suggestions of places to look? Maybe Michaels?

• micheletx
    6 years ago

Boop, the chinese evergreen I have is in a 6" diameter container. If the urn has an opening that size or larger, a real plant would work. If a real plant won't work, what about curly willow?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I have a similar vase..yours is more refined I'd say..I like it more than mine. mine is blue with elephants..it's definitely a floor vase, big with a relatively narrow opening. I put there stems of pothos(i think) ,right in the water, and they grow like crazy. Pothos doesn't care whether light or dark or water or soil as long as it has something..

granted you can keep there big branches too or say, sunflowers when it's season..but pothos can be there all year round.

(my vase was a mistake actually, from first month of owning a house here..I was hunting everything warm blue to match exactly the bed..))

it was a very set color palette. 3 colors, blahblah..

in a few months i felt like I'm suffocating..in this perfectly coordinated room...

I still like the vase though. Brings memories. It just lives in another room now. Pothos likes it there. And regarding these elephants-I'm actually very tempted to count how many zoological species I have around the house..I should make a list lol..)

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

:) I had to look up Pothos! It is interesting.

I have said I don't like that mirror and table. Last night I was looking up crystals and Feng shui plants and it came up you should never have a mirror facing your door. I wonder if that is why I don't like it? I read that if you do, you should put a big plant in front of it.

I think DH would think I was nuts if I took it down, but I might try that. I don't think I want a big plant on that table.

It did say you should have a jade plant by the door (jade plant by the door, never be poor) . I have to look up what kind of light they like. :)

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Personally, Boop, I like the table and mirror there. I do think you've got a bit too many things on the table, though. I very much like the large green jar in the corner there, too.