SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajgrennier

decorating a rustic farmhouse/Cabin style home

Laura
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We recently bought a 150+ year old home that has been added onto 3 times. The very small portion of the original home is a pre-civil war cabin, then a dining room and an upstairs with 4 bedrooms was added (unsure of Year) then in 1980 there was a front room and bedroom added. The house is very rustic and does not have a lot of flow. I am on a budget right now as we are also in the midst of building a new home on the property. We plan on keeping this house as a "guest house" when family and friends visit as we love the history behind it and don't want to tear it down. The entry is very rustic and cabin like, and then the main rooms and bedrooms upstairs have more of a farmhouse feel. There is not consistency through the house, the trim and flooring is different in every area/addition and you feel like you are in 2-3 totally different homes. My personal style is a more modern craftsman feel. Looking for advice on how to bring consistency throughout. I painted every room SW Alabaster White as a starting point for consistency and a fresh pallet to work with. I really want to make it feel fresh and ours...I even considered painting all of the woodwork with the exception of the beams in the entry and master bedroom. Don't mind the kitchen we are waiting on flooring and appliances so we are living out of a mini fridge from my husbands garage. I have also attached the color scheme i was gong to use in the Living room to embrace the colors that are already there but I am not sure I am feeling it...

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz