SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkansas_girl

Who has allergic reactions to laundry detergent...I DO!

arkansas girl
6 years ago

Many many years ago, I had an allergic reaction to Gain detergent....the kind that smells wonderful. It took a while of using it before it hit me...I had hives around my waist and then my lips began to swell...I even began to have trouble breathing. Then it took forever to get this out of my clothing. The jeans were the worst...I guess it got imbedded into the thick seams. After probably a dozen washings on boiling hot setting...I finally was able to wear them without breaking out in hives again. Well after that, I started using Free and Clear types...I wasn't really picky, usually bought a cheaper kind like Purex or Arm and Hammer, but always Free and Clear version. Well, recently I decide to buy a "better" detergent and bought the Cheer Free and Gentle I think it's called (not Clear)it's supposed to be free of dyes and fragrance though. Holy cow, it was "deja vu all over again". Exact same reaction to this as I had with the highly fragranced Gain detergent of 20 something years ago. So I have been washing and washing and washing, trying to catch all the clothes that I've washed with it. I'm back to Purex which causes no problems for me. I'm thinking that it's the borax in it, not realizing they had borax in them. I had purchased a box of borax some time back and was breaking out from that too. Not as bad because I only used it here and there. It will take a while of using a detergent to start to cause hives but once it starts, all I have to do is touch something with it in it and I will get hives.

Comments (41)