SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rollingfogfarm

Allergic reaction to commercial soilless mix

RollingFogFarm
11 years ago

I've used other seed starting mediums in the past, but this year, my local hardware superstore started carrying Burpee's Organic Seed Starting Mix. I'm trying to grow as organically as possible this year, so I bought several bags and have started about 10 flats of seedlings.

My hands have been dry and cracked all winter, so at first I didn't think anything of the slight burning sensation I've been having in my right hand. I also didn't think too much about how the right hand seems to be cracking and bleeding more, especially on the sides of my middle knuckles. But tonight, after a few days of healing, and immediately after starting two more flats, my knuckles are once again cracked, bleeding, and burn slightly, despite several handwashings.

Has anyone else experienced this?? I've never had an issue starting seeds without wearing gloves before this; should I have been wearing gloves? And exactly HOW "organic" can a mix be, if it causes this kind of reaction in my skin?

I'm a little worried about eating veggies from the plants I've already started. I'd appreciate any input you all have.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner