SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_x

New House, Japanese Room Design

Grant X
6 years ago

Hello

I am a University Student seeking help with my out of the ordinary room.

I've recently moved back with my family from Tokyo to Sydney, and have been given the largest room out of all (siblings have all been married off) . My previous room in Japan was smaller, but I can now accommodate a larger bed base and mattress which I prefer. However this has cut down my room size and accessibility. Previously, my bed was a single King-sized mattress and base, allowing my room to be open and more accessible with a small Kotatsu (Japanese Table) and floor seating allowing study and computing/Gaming.

Now, I can barely setup my table and seating arrangements, and when friends are invited (usual in Japanese university student friendships :) , the seating is awkward. I have tried many floor plans on paper, but am too worried that it will not solve anything. I need to think out of the box. The main problem is the door and window arrangement. The door swings out wide to the right, blocking anything hugging the wall. The windows have been shifted to the right side of the wall also, limiting my options for fresh air in the summer if anything is blocking them. Obviously, there are options of downscaling my Wardrobe and Bed, but problems occur.

Firstly as a University student non-employed, I have little to no access on funds :/, and removing the wardrobe would mean disassembling it as its height prevents it from being removed in one piece (assembled inside the room). The Queen size bed is also non-removable, as I measure 196cm and my legs stick out on a King-sized bed. (in japan i did not have this problem as I slept on futons) I can't seem to find a simple solution. I want to create a space where I can enter the floor rugged seating table and study and have friends comfortably sitting, while also allowing enough room between my bed and tv/ computer table. Preferably I did want my Bed in the middle wall where flags are, but place the bed vertical to the window removes all the space.

I have not been back in Sydney for 4 Years, and this is the first site I have visited in a while (room designing is a big hit in Japan). The awkwardness of this room makes me want to return. If anyone can help or suggest some recommendations, that would be helpful. Sorry for my bad english in advance.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Comments (2)