SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handmethathammer

Design choices/trends for new houses, Parade of Homes observations

handmethathammer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We enjoyed the local home builder association's semi annual "Parade of Homes" this weekend, featuring 35 new construction houses. Thought I would share trends and design choices I saw this year.

- Gray is here to stay....mostly on walls. There weren't many gray floors, furniture or cabinets this time, but plenty of gray walls. It seemed softer, though, almost white much of the time.

- Home owners like the look of wood floors, but are using wood look ceramic tile or LVPs instead of the real thing. This is the most noticeable trend. We only saw one house with actual wood floors. The rest, even high end homes, were LVPs or wood look ceramic tile. One note here, do NOT use LVPs on your stairs. That was a disaster!

- Pocket offices were everywhere, even in low cost houses. I was glad to see this, as a person who works from home and struggled to find office space on the main level in our price range when we were shopping for houses. Offices were not the big 12x12 rooms with regal desks and bookshelves of the past, but tiny 8x6 rooms tucked behind kitchens, off the main hall, next to the laundry room.

- White painted wood doors/trim/cabinets were everywhere. This was in nearly every home, low and high ends of the budget. It was a surprise to see any type of stained wood.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor