SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellybranford

Need help choosing a Sugar Maple cultivar please!

kellybranford
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all!

I've been doing a ton of reading (much of it on old GardenWeb forums) about sugar maple cultivars, and I feel like I'm more confused now than ever. I honestly can't even find what I would consider to be a complete list of sugar maple cultivars online - the lists seems to vary from site to site.

We're planning to plant the trees this fall, which I'm hoping gives them a good start with getting roots established before the hot part of the summer hits next year.

So far, we're considering the following cultivars: Green Mountain, Legacy, Commemoration, Fall Fiesta; any others that you would recommend?

And now for the considerations:

- We live in northern MD, right on the PA line...in zone 6b.

- Our soil is very slightly acidic

- The trees will absolutely get full sun (in fact they will get way more than 6 hours of sun per day).

- Fall is our absolute favorite time of the year, and gorgeous fall color is the most important thing to us about choosing the sugar maple cultivar to plant.

- We really prefer trees that have some color variation - and that turn shades of yellow, orange, and red on the same tree, in the same year, if possible.

- Reliable fall color is very important to us as well - if there is a cultivar that is reliably beautiful in the fall, and is more resistant to impacts of drought, weather, etc. on fall foliage, that would be excellent.

- Long-lasting fall color each year would also be ideal.

- Size is not a limiting factor - we have 3 acres, and not a single tree on our property right now (our home was built on what was used as farmland)...so the taller and bigger the tree, the better!

- Resistance to disease is also a very big consideration for us...we're planning to buy quite a few trees, and these will be a prominent part of our landscape design...so we'd like to have the best odds possible that the trees will live to maturity.

If you all have some time and could help with some recommendations, I would really appreciate any help/guidance/advice you could give us!

Thank you!

Comments (40)

• sam_md
    6 years ago

kellybranford, here you go:

If you are familiar with the greater Balto area this is Dulaney Valley Road @ entrance to Stella Maris Hospice, cv is likely 'Green Mountain'

Here's another:

'John Pair' AKA 'Caddo' @ National Arboretum, maybe the best red fall color.

Since Sugar Maples are such a favorite there are many cultivars. Sometimes seedlings can be great also.

kellybranford thanked sam_md
  • Related Discussions

Norway Maple vs. Sugar Maple

Q

Comments (35)
    To repeat what has been said a number of times before, there are Red Maples (Acer rubrum) in varying cultivars and then there are other cultivars of maples whose leaves turn red in the fall. There are also maples, mostly Japanese maples but other species as well, whose leaves come in red or reddish, some of whose leaves stay red and some turn green. The TRUE Red Maple is the A. rubrum, so called, as far as I know, because the flowers, which are very early before the leaves, are very red, as are the early stages of the samaras. Any other tree, if of another variety of maple (Norway, silver, etc.) MAY have the word red somewhere in its name, or have red leaves all summer or in the fall, but it will NOT BE a Red Maple, although it may be a red-colored maple, for example, the above mentioned Crimson King Norway Maple. Sorry for the lecture, but it's a pet peeve, and so you got the rant....
    ...See More

Need a smaller tree for between 2 Sugar Maples

Q

Comments (24)
    After the maples develop enough the smaller-growing tree is going to look squeezed. And I certainly wouldn't plant anything choice and expensive where it was expected that companion trees were going to overwhelm and spoil it later. Probably better to plant shrubs that will not try to grow up into the realm of the maples, read visually therefore as a third leg. And multiple specimens, of multiple kinds so it isn't just the one thing looking as though being hustled by two thugs: "Come with us, buddy!" Another thing to consider is adding more sugar maples later, to produce a grove effect with different age classes, as in a wild stand. This would look less stiff than having just two of them by themselves, spaced well apart. Since in grove planting the grove of multiple examples of one kind of tree is the feature - and not the individual trees - the spacing is closer.
    ...See More

Choosing a wild Sugar Maple

Q

Comments (30)
    We had to remove a 75-year-old sugar maple 4 years ago. It turned a nice gold color each fall. A seedling from that tree is now 25-30 feet tall. It colors later than the parent and is a nice golden yellow. Not as showy as the parent, but still nice. I've got a new 3-year-old offspring from that original tree that seems to be more orange, but this year it and most trees and shrubs are not coloring well. So, I'm not sure yet whether it's a keeper or not. It is near an ancient silver maple that we'll remove late next year and I may just let it grow where it sprouted if the color is good next year. We had a very wet summer and are having a warmer than normal autumn. Coldest temp so far is 37°. No frost yet. I assume the combination of the two is the reason for so many tree and shrub leaves turning brown and dropping rather than coloring.
    ...See More

Watering Newly Transplanted Sugar Maples

Q

Comments (12)
    ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 - I realllllly would love to see them in color this year...I'm hoping to take another trip to the nursery to visit the trees again before they come to our house :-). Is that weird? LOL. I literally feel like I searched EVERYWHERE for these trees...I had landscapers calling growers in a bunch of states, and I called more nurseries than I can count in our surrounding states as well. I had no idea this cultivar would be so challenging to find! That is very helpful information about the fertilizer. I had a feeling it may not be necessary (and may do more harm than good), but wanted to ask here since everyone here knows so much more about this than I do! I want to make sure I don't inadvertently do more harm than good to these beauties! We'd prefer to have something where we don't have to manually water each tree, given that there are 10 trees...so leaving the hose on a slow trickle for a long time per tree would take a very long time! The trees will absolutely be mulched as soon as they are planted...I'm hoping this also helps give them a good start. Would I need to water them through the fall? Or mostly only in spring/summer if it's hot and dry? Our soil is definitely not sandy...this much I know. It definitely has clay content, but I wouldn't say it's solely clay or anything like that. I'll try your perk test idea and see what I come up with! And thank you for your link - another one I will bookmark and keep as a reference! :-)
    ...See More
  • whaas_5a
    6 years ago

My opinion is that 'Bailsta' (Fall Fiesta) is a superior cultivar. There might be a caddo type that might be better for heat however Fall Fiesta didn't show any signs of scorch or tatter with the 2012 drought/heat in my area.

Fall color is long, robust and consistent. Also resistant to late season frosts which can prematurely force some others to drop their leaves.

This is a top 5 tree in general for me and I've grown quite a few cutlitvars/species.

kellybranford thanked whaas_5a
  • kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Ken! I don't know of too many tree farms in the area (other than Christmas tree farms haha), but I will do some research! I called a local nursery yesterday and they were unfortunately less than helpful...they told me they only had Legacy Sugar Maples, and the employee I spoke to wasn't sure what other cultivars they could get...soooo, I think I need to find a new place to talk to!

Our plan is to plant them ourselves (we're the DIY type for most everything usually), and I'd like to get the trees as large as is manageable to start with. What would you recommend if we are planning to do it ourselves, as a max. size to go with?

I was hoping to get them planted in September - mostly because we are going to be doing some fall grass seeding in the area where the trees are going, and I was hoping to plant the trees at the same time as the grass. Would this work, or should the trees be planted more in the October/November timeframe?

And it looks like we are about 6-6.5 hours away from that part of Ohio!

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sam_md - what a small world, I know EXACTLY where that is! Grew up not too far from there, and have probably driven by there about a thousand times in my lifetime haha...it's basically on the way to get anywhere from where I grew up! I never knew those were sugar maples (we're just starting to get into trees, now that our house has been built), but they are stunning! We're actually planning to line our driveway with them, much like they did with Stella Maris - we have a long driveway, and plenty of space to fill up! I was all but decided on the Green Mountains, because I had read excellent things about them...but then I read about the Fall Fiesta a couple of days ago, and now I'm torn. I can't really find a good comparison of the 2 online, to know which may be a better fit for what we're looking for.

We're also going to try to go to the National Arboretum in October this year (when we have some vacation time planned), but I'm worried it may be too late to help me choose a cultivar...I was hoping to plant them in September, unless you all tell me otherwise! Is the 'John Pair' AKA 'Caddo' cultivar a smaller variety (thought I may have read that somewhere)? Or does it get as large as the other cultivars?

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

whaas_5a - those are exactly the traits I read about Fall Fiesta that have made me seriously consider it...I love the consistent, long lasting fall foliage, and the fact that a frost would be less likely to cut the foliage time short. Most of the trees where we live tend to turn pretty late (I'd say they don't start until mid-to-late October usually)...which is odd, since we're in an area that gets much colder than a good portion of Maryland. So anything I can do to prolong the color is a-okay by me!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Would you consider using more than one cultivar, mixed randomly to get a wider range of color?

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    NHBabs - potentially, yes. My plan was to keep the same cultivar to give it a more formal allee type of look. But as long as I used all sugar maples, I would be open to looking into using a mix of different cultivars. Provided they all looked similar enough to still give the effect I'm looking for! What did you have in mind?
  • whaas_5a
    6 years ago

Green Mountain isn't consistent in color if that helps. I see them ranging from Yellow orange to more yellow to more orange year to year. Mature trees are seen observed from Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago area.

Fall Fiesta is always consistent with its bold array of orange, red and a touch of yellow.

The 5 years I owned it it always colored up like the pic below. While the other cultviars varied year to year. The color held on as long as some native oaks. The native Sugar maples color up early after the native Ash trees to give you an idea on timing.

http://www.itrees.com/tree-species/maple-trees/fall-fiesta-sugar-maple.html

I must have glazed over that you needed multiple trees so multiple cultivars is a good idea to get a better mix of color and timing. Acer 'Morton' is another favorite.

http://www.chicagolandgrows.org/trees/sugarmaple.php#

Not at my home computer for up close pics but that is Fall Fiesta to the left. It stays intense like that after those others drop leaves.

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    whaas_5a - that really is a stunning tree! Are there any downsides to the fall fiesta vs other cultivars, that you are aware of? And have you found the growth rate and mature size to be more or less what is expected?
  • whaas_5a
    6 years ago

Good form and has more vigor than most. I'd expect it to be a full size sugar maple.

I can't comment on frost cracking vs others though.

The key differentiator with this cultivar boils down to longer lasting and consistent fall color (the actual color not the fact that it colors up) vs others. All the others are great in their own mind to tell you the truth.

Give a sugar maple room with soil that has good drainage and that is not compacted and it will reward you.

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Does the fall fiesta really go through an entire range of colors (yellow to orange to red) in a fall season? Or does it predominately turn mostly one color?

Thank you again for all of the helpful posts - you all are wonderful!!
  • kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry - saw that you just addressed that in one of your posts already! Takes a while to scroll through on my phone, so I missed it the first go-round! Thanks again!
  • waynedanielson
    6 years ago

the mosty complete list of cultivars is incomplete at best...not to mention, just knowing that at some point in history, this name existed and had this description attached, does not necessarily do you any good when you actually start looking.

Do not call a place, unless you are looking to establish hours of operation. The good person is likely not available to answer the phone...and I can tell you from having been the person receiving the phone calls, the people in the nursery do not have the time to walk you through the entire inventory that they have or could have...and once they find out you aren't going to buy for at least two months, the whole conversation is pointless. In stock today, next week, may be unavailable until spring.

Don't worry...as soon as you choose a cultivar, you'll discover how many are are out there, and how superior each and every other one is.

Wait...you said you have space...so...go for a few different things. Do a Legacy, a Fall Fiesta, a Sugar Mountain. You want the range of color, you want a range of plants to provide it. Much of the rest of fall color has to do with environmental conditions...also good luck, you live in a great part of he world for excellent fall color.

My best advice? Find things in fall color if this is stressing you out.

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the helpful comments, pictures, and suggestions! This board is such a great resource!
  • kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So another question for all of you - when I get ready to plant trees in the rest of our yard, what are some of your other favorites for dynamite fall color? I'll probably do some other cultivars of sugar maples around the yard as well, but are there any other fall standouts that you all really enjoy? I love oak trees, but hear they can be hit or miss when it comes to fall color...

• sam_md
    6 years ago

Every year we have a fall color thread. HERE is last year's.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

but I'm worried it may be too late to help me choose a cultivar...I was hoping to plant them in September,

===>>> in a perfect world of transplanting.. you mark and buy a tree in leaf.. so you can verify fall color ..

and you plant it leafless ... which of course it will be.. a week or two after it colors.. eh ...

think in tree time.. you are buying a root mass for the future ... not for current color ...

without leaves.. the top is dormant.. but it can grow roots.. in your zone.. probably all winter .. [in my zone.. until the ground freezes ...

so that by the time spring leaf out comes.. you already have a root mass.. that can survive the following summers heat ...

someone in your zone is going to have to give you a more precise idea of timing for your area ...

when thinking about a tree that could live 100 years... try to step outside any thoughts of instant gratification ...

ken

note first section on timing ....

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

kellybranford thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • whaas_5a
    6 years ago

The key to fall color is diversity. Some cultivars are very consistent (think Freeman maples) but others vary from year to year based on temps, precipitation, etc. Then within a particular species they vary (think Carpinus caroliniana).

Local arboretums and botanical gardens are a good source to validate what colors up nicely. It might take a few years/trips to get a good collection going.

• (ryanga7a) Ryan M
    6 years ago

Kelly, for other trees with fall color, look up Nyssa sylvatica. It is also called tupelo or black gum. A stunning tree. I also love beech (just keep it away from house and driveway) and American Hornbeam (Hornbeam is also called musclewood or ironwood, and it tends to be a smaller and slower growing tree.) Yellowood is very pretty in fall, too, and trends to the smaller size. Scarlet oaks have a great red and white oaks have a deep purple on good years.

Maples have very aggressive root systems that out compete many things that would grow below them, including grass. Also, maples tend to have roots that like oxygen so they tend to have surface roots which, over time, can make mowing a lawn obnoxious. They might raose concrete ovee time, too, if planted too close to the driveway. Just a few comments as you think about the placement of these maples relative to the new lawn! Wish I had 3 acres to work with! Ask Ken for his link on how to plant trees.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Any cultivar should grow ok for you if PROPERLY SITED (neither too wet nor too dry/windswept, or too close to pavement), which with 3 acres isn't a likely issue.

So, it's down to fall color.

I would vote for Fall Fiesta, out of the ones you listed, but it's pretty difficult to find in my experience. Another one I like (which is even harder to find) is Bonfire. More red in the coloration, and about the fastest growing sugar maple out there.

kellybranford thanked hairmetal4ever
  • kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sam_md - thank you for the link! I read through it and got a few ideas for other parts of our yard!

ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 - thank you for the helpful info! We didn't have a yard in our last house, so this is our first time buying trees - very helpful to have your info.!

whaas_5a(5A SE WI) - I think we're going to try to find an arboretum to check out soon, hopefully somewhat in the area...it seems like it is a great source of info. and ideas!

(ryanga7a) Ryan M - Thank you for the suggestions! I'm compiling a list now of other beautiful fall foliage trees that we can use in other parts of our yard. Once all of the summer yard work slows down a bit, we want to plan out an overall landscaping plan so we can try to work in all of the trees that we want to use over the coming years :-).

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD) - We started looking for nurseries and tree farms this weekend, and it does seem like Fall Fiesta trees are difficult to find in the area...I wonder why that is? Do you have any experience with any online nurseries for purchasing trees (trying to think of a backup plan/worst case scenario, in case I can't find the Fall Fiesta locally!). I've never heard of Bonfire Sugar Maples - but I'm definitely going to look them up! Thanks!

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Since I'm new to this, I have another question for all of you...what is the largest size maple tree you would purchase if you wanted to attempt a DIY planting?

• whaas_5a
    6 years ago

You're going to get answers all over the board on that one.

Thinking specifically size only as it relates to the ability to move, I would not exceed 2" caliper. For other reasons as well.

You would likely need it delivered to the hole at that size. I can roll a 2" caliper in the hole myself but I have to be very careful with the angle to ensure I get the right face in the direction I want.

For b&b I really only prefer 1" to 1.5" as they are easier to handle and I can sometimes remove the entire cage before putting in the hole.

Containers are tricky as you can have girdling roots all along the way as its up potted. Whereas a b&b is usually planted at a liner. 5 gallon containers are my favorite size to plant.

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I am striking out (as are the landscapers that I've been in contact with) finding Fall Fiesta anywhere :-(. They've called growers in several different states, and none of them have that cultivar anymore. One of the landscapers I've been in touch with has recommended Flashfire Sugar Maples...does anyone here have any experience with this type?

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

whaas_5a(5A SE WI) - Thank you for the helpful information about caliper size! I've learned so much from all of you, I really appreciate the great information!!

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Flashfire is a cultivar of the 'Caddo' subtype of sugar maple, from an isolated relic population in Oklahoma. Very heat and drought tolerant, and it appears that cultivar colors well.

I would imagine it's a good one, but the Caddo sugar maples tend towards not getting as large, maybe two-thirds the size of a standard sugar maple.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Are you up for a six hour drive?

Wade and Gatton in Belleville, Ohio appears to have Fall Fiesta. AFAIK, they don't ship.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

On a side note, it frustrates me that the current state of the horticulture industry is such that you only have maybe a handful of cultivars of any one plant available, and it’s usually the “new” patented one that they can make big bucks on, which contributes to a monoculture. That, plus the average homeowner has a lot the size of a Yugo, and can’t tell the difference between an Acer saccharum and a Platanus occidentalis.

I fear we’re headed for a world where, unless you grow from seed or graft your own, your tree selection will be limited to three kinds of Acer rubrum and Bradford Pear.

There should still be a market out there for a boutique, mail-order nursery, that sells small, but quality specimens of hard to find cultivars. ForestFarm used to be that, and they’re still around, but they’ve scaled down their selection a LOT over the years. Especially in conifers.

The last hope might be some Amazon sellers who do it as a side business, and only need to make enough money to stay in business, and treat it more as a for-profit hobby.

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD) - Thank you! I'm having a hard time finding a ton of information about it online, and I had honestly never heard of it before. This landscaper (he's actually a good friend of the person we bought our property from, so I do trust him) told me that even though I've read that sugar maples would do fine in my zone, they tend to do better out in the higher elevations of Western Maryland (4,000 or so ft) when they live this far south...but we are at ~1,000 ft, so we're not exactly a 'low' elevation where I live. I think that's why he recommended this specific cultivar, since it seems to be one that is designed to live further south?

I did find one farm that has them in stock locally (at least from what they were willing to tell me), but every landscaper I've talked to either doesn't have an account with them, or has told me they are so terrible to work with, they'll never work with them again...and they don't sell to the public. So frustrating :-(.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Rent a Uhaul and go get some trees! Fun day trip.

BTW, yeah, sugar maple prefers cooler climates, but it seems to be a common thing in MD for landscapers to say that they don't do well here. I think it's mostly a siting issue. Plant them near pavement and they won't be happy.

Pick the right cultivar, plant in a good spot, and they will do fine.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

There is also the 'Oregon Trail' variety. From a big old specimen in Kansas (hotter and drier than MD).

Grimms Gardens sells them online. Not cheap. But they do ship.

• sam_md
    6 years ago

Manor View Farm in Balto Co, has sugar maple in their inventory. You will have to have your contractor place the order and pick them up. Someone like Stadler Nursery should have them (many locations) Waverly Farm nr Frederick -wholesale-

We live in Northern Maryland, right on the PA line...... well that narrows it down to about 240 miles, so I will assume you are in the eastern part where I am.

If you want to try the retail route consider:

Valley View Farm, Sun Nursery, Homestead Gardens, in MD

Merrifield's or Betty's Azalea Ranch in Fairfax Co, its a matter of calling around and shopping around, ask when they get their fall shipments in.

Below is an interesting cover from our state's promotional literature. The sugar maples are a cultivar because they are all so uniform. I can't say which one, maybe 'Green Mountain' Location is Buckeystown Pike south of Frederick.

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sam_md - Thank you! I've tried Valley View, Kingsdene, and some others in MD, but I will absolutely call the others on your list! Interestingly enough, Manor View is the nursery that does have them in stock, but I can't find a Landscaper who wants to work with them again :-(.

That is a beautiful photo - can't wait to (one day!) have my driveway look kind of like that!

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I struck out with Stadler, Waverly, Sun Nurseries, and Homestead Gardens so far. I did find 1 other place in Maryland that does grow them, but they only have 4-4.5" caliper and 4.5-5" caliper sizes right now...which could apparently weigh up to 2,500 lbs! Crazy. They might have something more in the 3" caliper size in September...so I'm going to see if I have any luck there...or if I can find a landscaper to work with Manor View. I never thought it would be so difficult to buy trees!!

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

You can see if Manor View themselves can recommend anyone...

• whaas_5a
    6 years ago

Best bet is to reserve now for next year or wait until March and get the trees. This time of year (at least around here) is all the left over crap or over sized specimens.

• hairmetal4ever
    6 years ago

Some nurseries will order a cultivar to be shipped with their incoming spring stock if you request it.

• whaas_5a
    6 years ago

Another good suggestion especially if they are set up with Schmidt. You could always call Schmidt on the West Coast and find out who they sell too in your area. I did this a few years ago and actually had the truck deliver it straight to my house since it was a larger order of container stock

• kellybranford
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All - a quick update. I was able to find someone to work with Manor View - they had 12 Fall Fiestas, and we just reserved 10 of them in the 2" caliper size. They'll stay happy at the nursery until we have them planted in October :-) :-).

For anyone else who is looking for them, I did end up finding 2 other sources in the Maryland area: Kingsdene Nursery would have been able to order them for me (they would have been potted, as opposed to the trees from Manor View that are in burlap, but I believe they were also 2" caliper). Moon Nurseries was the other source, but their trees were more in the 3-5" caliper size.

Thank you all again for your help - can't wait to see these beautiful trees planted, and to enjoy them for years to come!