SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbur1999

Kitchen advise please??

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Wanted to refresh my kitchen a little since we are having our hardwood floors refinished, they are red oak. So far I have decided to get a slab of marble for the island (imperial danby honed), change it from curved to rectangular since I never really liked the curved side, and maybe different island stools. I would like to keep the chandelier, but wanted to update the pendants over the island to something more casual. I am repainting walls and also getting a new dining room set and hutch or maybe sideboard, that is more casual as well. Any suggestions on floor finish, pendants, wall color and furniture would be greatly appreciated. I usually know what I like, but for some reason I can't come up with a cohesive plan to update this kitchen. I love the distressed look, and think the chandelier can maybe go either way in a shabby chick sort of way, but other than that I am drawing a blank. I also attached some photos of furniture that I am drawn to, but don't know if it would work in the space. I am limited on the size of the table and would like to keep it under 80 inch wide.

New furniture inspiration

Or maybe mix it up with the lighter color hutch in same style

Or add lighter color chairs on ends?

Comments (35)

• 6 years ago

My island measurements 80" x 40"

• 6 years ago

don't kill me but i like what you've got

i don't see how other table/chairs/hutch are more casual..they have this pretense about them to look like they're casual..yours is real deal. if you wanted to go totally different direction then I'd get it..but as it is now-I really like yours better

if they're not comfortable or don't function for you-that's a different story

if they are though-I'd leave them. Maybe paint one piece-the hutch? the table? maybe add cushions to the chairs?

Love the chandelier, and agree with you on changing the pendants..

as for the stain-unfortunately I understand nada in it. also different wood takes different stains differently. I like yours. If to change-maybe a tad deeper? Lighter will look great but I don't know how red oak looks in lighter. I hope somebody's here will be more useful than me, with these suggestions on a stain.

I feel the decision on wall color should be made last when everything's on its place..counters, new stain, new/changed furniture..since you're the less restricted with paint. You'll see your space better, all elements brought together..you'll know better what you want..and you'll have this vast world of paint colors and shades right there at your feet..:)

• Related Discussions

Please advise/help with Kitchen Plans – several drawings of plans

Q

Comments (3)
    Regarding the refrigerator -- we have just under 33" b/w the refrigerator handle and the counter edge across from it - and it's much too shallow an aisle! We were stuck with it b/c of the numerous measuring errors on the part of our KD. While it's something we've adapted to - if someone is in the refrigerator no one can pass by - it's not what I wanted! (I was aiming for 48".) . However, it's your home and Kitchen - so it's your choice how to handle it. We're here to give you advice - with no financial benefit accruing from specific designs/appliances/etc. - and it's your choice whether to take it or not. I understand that you're used to what you have and you can't imagine anything better - but keep in mind that: Human beings are very adaptable. We can adapt to anything - good or bad - even the worst layouts! We adapt so well that we tell ourselves it's fine the way it is - we cannot imagine doing it differently or making it better. But, what if it could be better? If you ask just about anyone here who took our advice and changed their layout to make it better, they will tell you they never realized it could be so much better and wondered how they had lived with the issues for so long! (The answer is back to the adaptability of human beings!) Human beings are resistant to change. Even when something can be made better, we resist change. We like what we know and we have a hard time seeing other ways to do things - even if they could be so much better! And, as I mentioned before, we've adapted to what we have - both the good and the bad. [This is not specific to you - we are all resistant to change to some extent!] Once we get past that resistance and start opening up to new ideas, though, it can be amazing what we can come up with - and I don't mean just the people here helping you, I mean you and your family coming up with new ideas as well! So, why not at least try for something better and give others a chance to come up with a better design? If you are not open to looking at other options, then so be it - as I said before, it's your Kitchen, so you can do what you want with it. Good luck with your remodel!
    ...See More

Kitchen window dilemma at end of project - please advise.

Q

Comments (18)
    I went back and forth with my architect over this very detail when designing our house. He wanted my kitchen window to sit flush with my countertop like your inspiration pic. I liked the look of that concept but when I started thinking about the practicality of it, I decided to raise my window up a bit (or actually shorten the window). Knowing how much water splashes behind my sink at my current house, I would be constantly wiping off water from my window sill. And water would likely be splashing on the window itself leaving me to constantly clean water drops or not clean it and stare at water drops all time (the more likely scenario!). I wouldn't put a piece of wood under your window. I'd leave it so you have no trim or apron below the window. I'd use your backsplash tile to extend under the window and tie the two sides together. The tile backsplash will prevent water damage far better than sheetrock or wood. Your kitchen looks lovely! Here is one of my inspiration pics. You can see the window just ends at the sill. Nothing below it but tile.
    ...See More

Window Advise in our kitchen remodel - Please help!

Q

Comments (3)
    I'd give up symmetry for light, so I think you should keep the window. I'd move the cooktop and hood closer to the window, then use open shelves on the other side, the same width as the window. alex9179 has a good suggestion, and you can have an appliance garage in the corner to avoid a 'cave.' I'd also suggest that the DW be moved to the left of the sink, and a dish hutch with glass at the top placed on the end, to break up the long stretch of counter. You'd then have separate prep/cooking and clean-up areas, which will make it easier for a helper to unload the DW, or gather dishes to set the table, without interfering in prep and cooking tasks.
    ...See More

kitchen counter advise please!

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree with the soapstone advice. Also, maybe honed and leathered finish for AB would work.
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

I would wait till after you redo the island slab and floors before deciding on new furniture. I like what you have too, but I get wanted to update.

• 6 years ago

Thanks for your input. If I were to start with the pendants what do you think would go? Do I have to keep with the dark bronze metal accent and chain? Didn't know if a down rod type pendant would work. Just trying to change things up a bit. It's been years since this kitchen has been done. Just looking for something different....

• 6 years ago

No, you don't have to keep with the dark bronze, or the chain

you can mix things up. in lighting, especially so

obviously, should make sense together

what pendants were you thinking of? did you see some you liked?

• 6 years ago

I have to add my voice to april's. I love your kitchen. The colors are beautiful, rich and warm tones. The furniture is substantial and classic. The chandelier is lovely. Swapping out the counter top and squaring it sounds great (I love Danby) and maybe the pendants are a bit too small- so I went to Circa lighting for some inspiration on that score. Here are some ideas.

Oh, and this one from RH

Don't underestimate the power of your new Danby countertop and some styling changes or additions. Your kitchen is perfection, IMHO.

• 6 years ago

..another thing. what helps me sometimes if i'm vaguely dissatisfied with a room-is

a) take away small things. i mean accessories, maybe small pics..whatever's not a hassle to move, and then move back

b) sit not where you sit usually but somewhere else..say on the floor:)

and look at it. at the room

that's a well known technique, I didn't invent it

used for many things not just decor. (well for other things you don't need to take accessories out lol)

changing physical position in space somehow helps to see things from a different angle, not only physically but inside your head

you might arrive to a conclusion it's not a really a kitchen or furniture you don't like or are a bit tired of

maybe it's something else

you also might suddenly think of a new idea..like different arrangement..or a vision of a new color..or something else entirely

you'll know when you're onto something-you'll feel excitement

and with changes you have planned already..this excitement will be just the right thing to help to decide what other things you need or maybe don't need

• 6 years ago

I think what is bothering you is blending of the different styles in a visually intense area. I like everything you have but understand your desire to update and change. More than likely you will not be refinishing your floor for many years. I would start there. Decide what color stain and finish you like natural honey, golden brown, coffee brown...matte, satin or high gloss finish. From there you will know what color will work for your walls. Your decorations tend to run in the vein of traditional/colonial. That is great. It is easy to add touches that go any direction. Very nice dining set. If you opt to keep it I would consider changing the bar stools to open back white ones. If not, a distressed round pedestal table would look great in your space. Is storage an issue? It appears you have a very spacious kitchen. Is it possible to move your china to the glass front cabinets and do away with the hutch? I might consider that. In the event you are keeping your set I would not put any thing on top of the hutch except maybe a couple topiaries (like what is on your table). Lovely kitchen.

• 6 years ago

Ditto what others have said. Lovely space! Redo the floors (I'd aim for something a few shades darker than current - have your floor vendor do some samples) and get that new countertop in. A new paint color will freshen things up a lot. I like the idea of a blue instead of the current green. Take a look at BM Stratton blue or similar. Then reassess.

• 6 years ago

Your space is over all super lovely--most would die for... I support the pendant and curve marble replacement. The island top looks so nice but it appears the eating area for two people is slight due to the curve. It will be much more useful straight. If "updated" is your goal I would go for the side board. It seems full height china cabinets are OUT. Looking at your stools I am supposing you would like comfier dining chairs. Perhaps swapping out just the chairs, would be more to your liking, but upholstered chairs harken to the more formal and your space is a mix right now..the cabinetry is very formal. Your dining set, not as much. The new items you are drawn too are also less formal than your cabinetry. I am not sure in the end you will feel you accomplished what your goal was when you started? If you want to bring down the "formal" painting the island would also jive with your new pendants and straight marble. I think you are trying to make the space cohesive, and the elements you are less fond of-the formal cabinetry-are the tougher to bring down to less formal. Your floors look lovely in the pictures.

• 6 years ago

I can't tell you how much your suggestions are helping! Removing items makes a lot of sense on the hutch! I also agree that the new island top will help, and I love the pendant suggestions. I am going to check out some stain colors today, I agree maybe a darker stain. I have seen some dark walnut stain on red oak pictures here on houzz that are really nice. Even though my kitchen has a door and a window, it is on the darker side, so I want to lighten it up a bit. It is currently painted bm saybrook sage. I love blue and I am currently looking at bm wyeth blue or maybe bm palladian blue since it is brighter. I have attached some photo's of the pendants I have been looking at. Once again, thanks for your input, not only have you saved me money, but you have given me some great tips!

Georgetown Row House · More Info

Tiburon home remodel · More Info

Darlana Lantern, Aged Iron, Medium · More Info

Delightful Lure · More Info

Focal Point of Family Gatherings, a Great Kitchen Remodel in Potomac Falls · More Info

• 6 years ago

I love your space, too! The ideas you have (changing the island top, switching out the island pendants to something less formal--I had envisioned something like the Darlana lantern you had pictured above when you said that). If you have a "problem," I agree with another poster that it's in your dining area. All of your furniture is in a block of dark heaviness which sucks the light out of the room, especially your hutch. Is it possible to remove the top of your hutch and just use the sideboard to start? I definitely agree that the new furniture you're considering is not nearly as nice as what you have. I can't wait to see how this turns out, you have such lovely taste. :)

• 6 years ago

I love your space! But if you want some change, how about Parsons chairs at ends?

Or different chairs altogether? And lighter cover for stools.

lbur1999 thanked nosoccermom
  • 6 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I would switch to lantern style pendants with a little bit of curl on them. Change out the end chairs for a light colored upholstery and similar for the barstools. If you can, take the top off the hutch and hang a piece of art you love. Personally, I like the dining set you have more than the newer styles. Yours is so classic and comfy looking. Decide your paint after the rest is done. Please keep us updated on your lovely space.

lbur1999 thanked athomeeileen
  • 6 years ago

Thanks for you continued help, here are some floor stains I was looking at. Kind of similar to what I have now, but a different tone. Totally agree with not going too dark!

Capitol Hill Alteration · More Info
    This is ebony on red oak, this may be a little hard though....

Missele Makeover · More Info
    or maybe this, dark walnut on red oak.

As far as lighting I really like these exact pendants, but am having a hard time locating them. Many are similar, but these are really nice.

Cape Cod Residence · More Info

I agree with the hutch, but if I take it off, the sideboard that is under it is rather small. It would be great if it were higher, but because of the chair height it may get lost. :(

• 6 years ago

RE: the sideboard, I think it's OK if it gets lost? You could put a large piece of artwork above it, and maybe even some lamps to complement your chandelier. Or, if you don't need the hutch for storage, you could move it out of the space to lighten things up a bit.

• 6 years ago

You can create some visual height on the sideboard with a tall vase or a nice painting above it. All your things are lovely but the room looks cluttered to me. As mentioned above, I think if you do a brutal edit of your walls and flat surfaces it will make the room look fresh. And you won't need new furniture.

Do you use all six chairs every meal? If not, is there a corner where you could place two of them?

Edited to add, do you need the sideboard in the eating area? If you can take the whole piece out, it will really lighten up that part of the kitchen.

lbur1999 thanked deegw
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen cabinets! Everyone has their own personal preference, but I tend to appreciate a more cohesive lighting scheme than a mix and match one. It gives the room a more cohesive feel. The attached are slightly more casual, but would still blend very nicely!

I also like the table you are considering buying. I added some chair that would work with it. They are shabby chic, but still slightly ornate as is your cabinetry and chandelier.

Good luck on your project!

Crystorama Parson Ceiling Mount/Pendant · More Info

Stanley Furniture Arrondissement Volute Side Chair, Vintage Neutral · More Info

Stanley Furniture Arrondissement Volute Arm Chair, Vintage Neutral Finish · More Info

lbur1999 thanked Seldens Furniture
  • 6 years ago

Genius! Thank you d_gw! I really like the four chairs! I took down a lot of the clutter, and it really did make a difference. Here are some before and after shots!

BEFORE

AFTER

• 6 years ago

Yay! It looks great. It's so interesting that the mind seems to gloss over our surroundings but easy changes will jump out to a new set of eyes. My bill is in the mail :)

• 6 years ago

That looks fantastic!

If you like want to introduce more blue, there are few things I like better than blue porcelain against a green background. Maybe a few nice pieces of blue transfer ware on your hutch?

• 6 years ago

lol, d_gw

told'ya

like your choice for pendants..squares, slightly more..

agree with many of what's been said by previous posters..except for these hutches being out..oh no..they're in..they're so much in but not everybody knows yet..))))))

that's going to be the next craze after mcm(which I personally love love love..but I love love love many things)..these hutches, armoires..everything that is now on Craigslist, and is very cheap, and blah blah? it won't be. mark my words. not every single one of them of course..but in general

ah. if there's patterned china you love or dream of..I don't know ..everybody's and their preferences..many people are into white and blue and chinoiserie, and others are into hand thrown pottery..and others yet into bone china from England or Russia or whatever..me, I like everything plus Ardmore ceramics lol..ok, to get to the point-if you like it-get it..such things make just about every hutch out there special. And-you can eat from them too! lessens sense of guilt over spending money..:)

(some people. especially when they cook very very well, think that china should be white though, as not to take off the look of the food itself)

• 6 years ago

Rita! I swore to you i typed without seeing your post!!

(was I typing for 43 minutes? weird..can't be..since I type very fast))

• 6 years ago

Rita I LOOVE those blue plates/platters!! Before I started searching for the dining room furniture I found a set of these at Home Goods and fell in love! lol. Here is the pic of it on one of the tables that I was thinking about getting. I thought the guy at the store thought I was weird or something, but it was my inspiration!

Now just need to choose pendants and then maybe I can sleep tonight. Indecision drives me crazy!

• 6 years ago

I am pleased to be on the same wavelength as you april! lbur, that's a lovely dish.

This is OT, but for those who like blue porcelain, there is this instagram account- the woman is Dutch via some place in Africa- she used to be a wedding dress designer- now she makes cakes with the most unbelievable sugar flowers and she has a vast collection of Delftware - and her house perfect and she sets the most gorgeous tables and she writes the most lovely things- and she makes real flower arrangements in gorgeous porcelain- blue and white of course- Natasja Sadi/ @cakeatelieramsterdam.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Perhaps getting a rug to lighter your dining room areas would help as well? Also you might want to add pops of cream of white on the hutch to lighten it as well, assuming you are keeping both now.

Kingstation Elegant Home · More Info

Royal York Renovation and Decoration · More Info

lbur1999 thanked Lumar Interiors
  • 6 years ago

I have a similar kitchen with ivory glazed cabinets and chose black wrought iron lanterns, although my first choice was *your* pendants in a bronze finish. I ended up using them in the masterbath instead. Over the kitchen table I have a fixture that wasn't in the same colletion as the lanterns, but matches pretty we. To keep things consistent, I have the largest size lantern in the foyer.

• 6 years ago

The fixture over the table w/shades.

My table/chairs are from Pier One. My area isn't as large as yours. The chairs are ivory vinyl and I love the way the color plays off the cabinets in the eating area. The toile chair you see in the corner is a recovered antique chair with the second one in the opposite corner, making 6 chairs total. Also a leaf for the table which I need to get out from time to time as well as pulling in extra chairs. Maybe the space is bigger than I realize. ;)

• 6 years ago

Patty cakes pretty kitchen! Your kitty is so cute!

• 6 years ago

Thanks for the pics Patty_cakes! Your kitchen is lovely! Photo bombed by your kitty! Love it! I was going to go with the Darlana cage pendants, which I think are beautiful, but I am now looking at some cages with more curves on the top. I feel that it would compliment the chandelier better. But then again I like the bell jar pendants too, bringing in the element of glass same as the chandelier. Or, I really like the look of ivory linen shade pendants that would bring a touch of softness. Then I am going back and forth about size. I know the trend now seems to be going larger, and I love that, but will they compete with the chandelier too much? And color, do I go with the same dark bronze metal of the chandelier since they are so visible being in the same room? As you can see my mind is spinning... Ugh....

• 6 years ago

..linen. I love Darlana. but everybody loves Darlana. So everybody has Darlana. So why not to go with something else but only if you really love that something else?

Bell curves are very nice. But you wanted to change. The question how far away you wanted to move from your pendants

I suggest: first narrow to the ones that you really love..return to them again and again in your thoughts..that excite you

Then choose from these only

To hell with the trend-look at your, and your room only. Into your heart, and then at your room:)

usually pieces we really love-they're easier to work together. Something about them that draws us in-usually signals about some similarity they share. That similarity can be on the surface, or hidden. Figure it out-and then you'll have your master key.

• 6 years ago

Well said!!

• 6 years ago

I like the furniture you already have. I also think it looks nicer and better made than the stuff you were (are?) considering. Clearing the hutch and table off made a big difference. It looks very nice edited. I really like the boxwood on the table. Agree blue china/accents would look nice added with that green, but I wouldn't add anything else to the hutch. I'd replace something if you're going to go that direction. Or maybe even use a plate or platter in the blue and white as a wall hanging somewhere in the kitchen. I think if you're going to add the b&w it should be repeated quite a few times to look intential (probably at least three) and I'd consider adding blue elsewhere too.

I like your chandelier but am having a hard time coming up with pendants for the island that coordinate. I really do think they need to coordinate/compliment and not compete. Right now they're both trying to be the star. I also think it will look the more cohesive to keep the finish of the pendants orb or black to relate to the chandy. Have you considered maybe removing some of the crystals from the chandelier? It might make it less fancy and easier to pair something with. The pendants you have now coordinate well with it but again my eyes don't know which one to look at and I think there's some style fighting going on with the lighting and table/hutch.

You're only putting the marble on the island? What countertop material is the rest of the counters? Honestly I don't see marble working there. I think it's going to be too white compared to your cabinets and stand out being the only white thing. Are your cabinets a pale yellow? On my monitor, the island looks like a lighter cream but different than the perimeter cabinets. Are your counters dark brown? I think creams look better with browns and white look better with black. Though I'm not sure what marble you're interested in so maybe it's not stark. ?

ETA - I'm sorry, I keep editing! - I just saw you're installing imperial danby honed on the island. I didn't read well and my head immediately thought carrara. I could be wrong but the imperial still looks pretty white to me. Did you see a sample in the kitchen yet?

I like your floor color as is very much. I personally wouldn't go really dark for a bunch of reasons (dust being my number 1) and I can't see really light flooring in there. Do they need refinished? Maybe change the tone if you're unhappy with the color.

I would select wall color last but I like what you have. If you're keeping the curtains I'd pull a color or similar tone from there.

What size are your current island pendants? I've been looking for pendants and white shade ones might not look right. I would go with more cream or amber shades and I kind of like the idea of glass because they'll disappear more. I'd be tempted to install two cans above the island and really let the chandelier shine. Have you considered that? I hope you don't think I'm picking at your kitchen negatively. You have a very nice kitchen!

I don't feel a confident in these that I picked but I'm throwing them out there.

I think I like this first one best out of the three I'm posting. When looking I was trying to find ones that repeated a shape somewhere from the chandelier.

Savoy House pendant light

Annnnd I thought the next two were cream and just saw the shade color is listed as white.

Golden Lighting

Vaxcel Lighting

• 6 years ago

Thanks all for your comments! Sheeisback, thank you for your insight too! I'm going to post a picture of the danby, and the perimeter countertops to show you a more accurate picture. As far as the cabinets and island they are the same shade, which is a off white, very creamy color. I would not say yellow though. I have seen other kitchens on Houzz with the white on white look of the island and really liked it. That is what drew me to choosing it. I new that I could match the island again with the perimeter, which is windsor quartz, but I guess I just wanted something different. I initially though to go absolute black granite honed, but then I saw the marble and I just loved it. The danby slab that I chose has a lot of warmth to it with some gray and gold veins. Not to much but just enough to meld the cabinets and perimeter counters together. And after much deliberation and banging head on computer desk....lol, I found these. Which I really think will go with the chandelier without fighting it. And the best thing is the price, ($31 bucks each)! I can't believe it! They got some really good reviews and I am hoping (fingers crossed) that I like them in person. The funny thing is I was willing to spend much, much more for the right ones, so well see. So now that I finally made a decision on the pendants, I can focus on the floors, which I agree with everyone and not going too far off what I have now. They really do need to be refinished and I just have to bite the bullet, move out for a week and just get them done! I am going to look into some more of the lovely blue china accents, which I think will look fab too. And maybe brighten up the walls but keep a soothing blue shade. I really do appreciate everyone's input, it really helped me tremendously!

So without further ado...the pendants, simple with clean lines :)

Bell-Shaped Pendant Light With Clear Glass Shade · More Info

Perimeter counters Window Quartz

Imperial Danby (a little more white than the cabinets but will tie in whiter apron sink nicely)

Oh and I am keeping the dining set too! I will post some pics when it's all done!