SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liv2tell

Kitchen window dilemma at end of project - please advise.

liv2tell
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Last time I posted here we were still in the framing process and afraid we were going to be left without an attic in our one-story home with an incredibly high roof. We got the attic, have continued through this journey and are hopefully just a week away from all work being completed so we can move in.

During framing and when windows were installed, it seemed to me that my kitchen windows were not placed in the position I liked the to be vertically, but my builder assured me I would still be able to achieve the look I am wanting in my kitchen where the windows' bottom trim will meet top of my countertops with no backsplash inbetween the two.

It's been put off until now, window trim was placed standard - not to my custom request - but again I was assured it could be fixed and tailored to my desires once the kitchen countertops were installed.

Just talked to the guy that's been assigned this task this morning and he seems unsure if it can be done - or rather I should say his idea for making it happen didn't sound pretty to me. He said he would remove the bottom trim, put in a window sill piece of wood and then another piece of wood underneath just to cover the wall where I want it covered with no backsplash. It's hard for me to understand what that would look like but it didn't sound good? Here are some pictures of my kitchen:

Below was my inspiration, but as you can see the windows were not set low enough to do this but I still would like to avoid the little strip of backsplash and have a "grand kitchen windows rest on the countertop" look and feel.

Comments (18)