SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Floating cork floor bulging upwards

bob_cville
6 years ago

About two years ago a basement bedroom had a leak, I found that the corrugated plastic drain pipe attached to the downspout right out that room had become detached. The carpet was soaked and badly stained, and some of the drywall was damaged. So I removed the carpet and padding, removed the drywall and redid it. I then installed a 4-in-1 vapor barrier/underlayment followed by a click together floating cork floor. It looked great.

Now two years later as we are in the process of trying to sell the house, I discovered that the cork floor is bulging up about an inch in the center of the room. I don'tknow how long it has been like this because we moved out a couple of months ago, and the friends who are renting the place to keep an eye on it, never noticed it. Once I noticed the floor I also discovered that the corrugated plastic drain pipe had become detached again, which explains where the moisture came from, but now I need to figure out what to do.

I have set up a dehumidifier in the room but don't have high hopes that it will fix the problem. Is it possible to remove some of the cork floor pieces and replace them with new pieces? They seem to click together pretty firmly. If so, how would I tell where to stop removing them.

Comments (4)