SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic56

Cabinets are grayer than planned ... how to compensate?

Pam A
5 years ago

My cabinets arrived today and they are more gray than expected. The wood is quartersawn white oak and the hope was to get something as close to raw wood look as possible. That wasn't something they were able to do so we arrived at the best possible compromise. The light gray stain is darker than the sample board, but not horribly, and the cabinets are incredibly well made. So I'm not about to alter them. And they aren't BAD, it's just not what I love.

So ... dusting off my minor disappointment ... what is the best way to bring some warmth and life back to the space? I have changed the color temp of the lights from 4k to 3500, which warms up the tone a bit. Our floor is light which might help bounce light around, I am wondering if I should change from Azul Aran granite to a lighter quartz?

The kitchen below is a dead ringer for the cabinet color I have. The lower pic is the combo of granite, floor, and stain sample they supplied. Looking at the kitchen pic, imagine the light floor, and do you think the granite helps or hurts the cabinets? I have an island but it is same color as perimeter.

Many thanks in advance for your help - the cabs are great quality, just not the color I hoped for. I want to love them :)

Comments (118)