SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slh8515

Can you reuse/refabricate granite or quartz countertops?

slh8515
6 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and have been scouring craigslist, HFH ReStore, local cabinet makers and other salvage places to acquire good quality materials to repurpose. I have budgeted about $5000 for materials, including cabinets, countertops, backsplash, and lighting. I am trying to reuse as much as I can from salvaged goods. Cost is a factor, and I want to spend the money on quality workmanship and not on brand new materials. I have so far been lucky to get enough cabinets to redo the kitchen.

I am on the hunt now for granite or quartz. I purchased used granite tropical brown countertops that had been removed from another kitchen for $300 and it included the sink. The L shaped layout was very similar to mine, but it will need to be modified a bit. It's too long on one side and the other side needs some added to it. The sink is in the perfect spot. Can I have the long side cut and seamed to the other side? I don't think matching the grain will be an issue; tropical brown seems to look similar throughout.

Second Question: I also have 2 straight runs of 138 inches and 168 in. (Family Room) that need countertops too. They are in different rooms, and are separate. I wanted to know if I could have granite or quartz cut down to fit my layout. Specifically island slabs. If I found enough linear feet of the same granite/quartz to work in a straight run, can I have a fabricator "trim" down the islands, and seam together all the pieces? My thought process is that an island is just like an unfishished slab, and can be cut again...

I understand the risks of removing/ transporting/reinstalling granite or quartz and that it could break, etc. I am willing to take that risk. I also understand that the grain of the granite/quartz may not match, but I feel pretty confident that that if I am careful to choose granite/quartz that has an overall grain pattern, it wont show too much.

Can you please comment on the feasibility, cost effectiveness, and other risks that I should consider? Thanks in advance, I love this forum and am always learning something helpful. There are a lot of people with expertise that are so generous with their advice and help.

Looking forward to your thoughts! Shanin

Comments (3)