SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

Reusing granite - is this even possible?

daisychain01
8 years ago

We are (still) redoing our kitchen after a fire/flood. The granite wasn't damaged, so wasn't part of the insurance claim. It has been taken off site and the plan was to reuse it.

Originally, the plan was to redo the layout so the granite would have been cut to fit the new layout and new parts would have been done in butcher block.

Due to many complications, the layout now has to stay the same (sorry, mama goose - I really loved the new layout you came up with for us) and they are planning on just reusing the granite in the same place.

All the walls are out down to the studs. They are drywalling where there used to be plaster (100 year old house) and insulating where there used to be none so walls are being firred out a bit to accommodate for new insulation.

My question is, how can they possibly expect the old granite to fit the new walls? When they templated it originally, they made sure it fit like a glove. Am I to expect huge gaps everywhere? I am meeting with contractor on Tuesday and would like your opinions before that meeting so I know what I'm talking about. Many thanks in advance.

Comments (10)