SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Week 3, June 2017, General Garden Talk

Good Morning! It's a new day and a new work week. I hope everyone has a lovely week here in the middle of June. I suppose the heat will return now, but at least there was a bit of a break in it. It would be nice if we could have just some normal June heat for the rest of the week instead of returning to those ultra-high temperatures and heat index values we had last week.

For me, this week will be all about food preservation. I'd say the tomato harvest is peaking now, which sounds lovely, doesn't it? What it really means, though, since I plant far too many tomatoes is that we are drowing in tomatoes. I'd rather be outdoors pulling weeds this morning, but it is more important to process the harvest....so, I will be doing that.

Rain, glorius rain! It fell here in the early morning hours---and I mostly slept through it. We got 0.60" at our house, but some parts of our county got well over an inch and a half (lucky folks!). I'm grateful for every drop that fell. Ultimately, a little over a half-inch won't save us from the drought that engulfs us, but every little bit that falls helps keep us from progressing further into drought. Perhaps even better is the cooler air. It is nice to wake up to outdoor air temperatures that are in the 60s because last week it would be 77 or 78 every morning here for our overnight low, and that's too hot.

Since May and June rain often bring a whole slew of problems, including widespread fungal disease issues on both edibles and ornamentals, sometimes it isn't the absolute worst thing to be a bit on the dry side. In our garden the fungal issues kicked up badly on tomato plants in May when we were getting misty, foggy drizzle that sometimes would last all day and still only put maybe .02 or .03" in the rain gauge. That's the worst sort of rain because it does nothing for the plant roots and just puts moisture on the foliage where the fungi then grow. At least this morning's rainfall put water in the root zone for once. Only my tomato plants are having the fungal issues, and I know I need to rotate them to the back garden next year to break the cycle. Everything else is doing great. Based on the numerous disease questions popping up in our OK gardening-related FB groups, it sounds like fungal issues are running wild in many parts of the state---especially the ones that affect tomatoes, cucumbers and squash. My cucumbers and squash plants are fine.

Oddly, spider mites are not an issue here now on tomato plants, though we had a huge outbreak of them in April. Usually in hot weather, their population explodes. I have cut back some of the verbenas really hard because they have spider mites, but the tomato plants don't. I cannot explain why they don't. Maybe we had more beneficial mites on the tomato plants early and they have been controlling the spider mites there. While we do have a nice population of lady bugs, I haven't been seeing them on the tomato plants. Gardening is such a mystery sometimes.

If I can finish up the tomato processing early enough today, which seems doubtful at this point, I'd like to take tomato cuttings for fall tomato plants. It is time. I have found I get much better production from fall tomato plants if I have them planted in the ground before the end of June than if I wait until July.

The Red River and Highlander onions, which are long daylength onion varieties (albeit they are very early long daylength types) have slowly been maturing. Every morning last week I'd find 10 or 15 with soft necks flopped over on the ground and would pull them and move them to the drying racks on the covered patio. Then it accelerated to where I was finding them every morning and every evening. Now, I'd say that about 75% of these are done. Oddly enough, though, in the 'overflow' onion bed that caught all the odds and ends of varieties that wouldn't fit into the bed allocated to each onion type, not many onions have developed softnecks yet. That bed is mostly a mix of the leftover intermediate daylength types and Red River and Highlander, but they're almost all still standing even though all the other intermediate daylength types are long-gone from the garden. I wonder why they are slower there. The soil is not substantially different from the other onion beds right beside them. The onions are the same size as the ones already harvested, so it isn't that they aren't growing. Maybe I should try thumping one and see it I can make it fall over. (grin) Copra, which is the last one to mature of all the varieties I grow here, has had one onion develop a softneck, I think, or maybe two. The rest of them just sit there and stare back at me daily when I check them. It has seemed like they never were going to bulb up, but I can see now that it is happening. I don't necessarily think they are later than usual. It could just be that they seem late because the others have been early. It seems like every year I am impatiently waiting for the long daylength onions to finish up so I can use their space for something else, so I suppose this year really is not all that different. I do think one of the coolest things about growing onions is that I can grow not only short daylength but also intermediate daylength and even a few of the long daylength types here. You wouldn't think it would be possible, but apparently it is.

At least the raging heat furnace type winds are gone too!

Okay, I have babbled on about my garden long enough. What's going on in your gardens this week?

Dawn

Comments (103)