SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlegreeny

USA Persil Detergent

littlegreeny
6 years ago

What's everyone's opinion on the USA versions of Persil? When I first got the sensitive skin and 2in1 versions, I really liked them but the more I use them, the more they disappoint me.

I've found them to have mediocre cleaning performance. They won't get out everyday stains that any basic, enzyme-based detergent should remove. I found Era, Tide, Kirkland, All and Cheer does a better job at removing stains. I will say the 2in1 is good at removing odors and freshening laundry, but that's about it.

Comments (64)

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Well that could present a problem with stain removal. Stains should be shot with cool water first. Hot or even nicely warm can and will set stains expecially oil stains. Miele washers with their cold fill has that solved. Lol

littlegreeny thanked mamapinky0
  • SEA SEA
    6 years ago

Ah ha! I see now. My other detergents remove this same stain without any pre-treating though. (I get this stain often) Is that because they are powders and somehow work different?

littlegreeny thanked SEA SEA
  • Related Discussions

Persil Detergent

Q

Comments (5)
    Miele has it's own detergent made by Kreussler in Germany. So it would make sense that they are not importing Persil, but I don't know for sure. I am now using the Miele and like it better than Persil. But I have a bias which is scent. I never loved the way Persil smelled.
    ...See More

Does Persil Liquid ProClean from Walmart USA contain....

Q

Comments (13)
    lets get this straight. I googled. I went to their website. I looked at the ingredients. nowhere does it say it has or doesn't have optical brightners, so get off your high horses. furthermore, the odor left in the clothes my wife washed in persil yesterday, aggravates my asthma, so I'm returning the Persil to Walmart. therefore, my original question is moot. People without allergy issues have no idea how bad some things can aggravate one's condition. over and out
    ...See More

2nd batch of USA Persil Power Pearls...DONE. No more tries!!

Q

Comments (40)
    @ recordaras.....Virtually no suds. I use one pod, and by itself...no boosters, scent enhancers, bleach, ammonia, oxi powder, etc... The suds are almost as low as Rosalie's Zero Suds. This is so strange....what is crazy sudsy in my machine and with our water gives most of you no issues, and then vice versa. I have used these several times with hot washes too (140-160F), and still very little sudsing, and if I do get a small amt....all 3 rinses looks almost drinkable. The Lavender Vanilla after drying is very soft and faint. It smelsl kind of like a day spa and I for sure smell a hint of the old, fashioned soft & powdery Tide powder. Love the scent (wish it was stronger ;)
    ...See More

Persil (USA) liquid says to be Low Suds and Clean Rinsing

Q

Comments (30)
    I've been told the Persil 2in1 and regular liquid Persil and Pearls smells exactly like Euro Persil. I love the scent of the Pearls original scent but I'm not crazy about the Intense Fresh Pearls. I also Love the scent of Persil ProCaps, YUM The Persil liquids original scents I've come to enjoy except the Intense Fresh which I don't care for. That being said they all do an amazing job of cleaning, for me. I think if I had to choose only one brand of detergent it would be Persil, original scents. Its a good thing I don't have to choose though LOL. I do however reserve the Persil for moderate to heavily soiled clothing and bedding, most of the time. Probably some of you will be surprised at me not choosing my beloved Tide with Bleach powder. .but...I have no more of the vintage scented one or the Tide Pro and the current scents...I'm not loving the scents.
    ...See More
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Powdered detergent Is much more alkaline than liquids which are mostly close to neutral so that could play a roll. Think of it like this Cascade is extremely alkaline in order to remove grease/oils...lol

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Fun fact: The recently reformulated version of Cheer powder has three enzymes, including lipase, an enzyme for oil-based stains.

Cheer Powder Ingredients:

Sodium Carbonate

Sodium Sulfate

Sodium Aluminosilicate

Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate

Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Sodium Polyacrylate

Silicate

Water

Sodium Percarbonate

Fragrance

Silicone

Protease

Amylase

Lipase

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Cheer has gone thru more formula changes than Carters has pills. Seems as if P&G can not make up their minds about this stuff.

• Michael
    6 years ago

We just started using Persil Intense Fresh. We're satisfied with the clean (we only wear clothes once before washing) and the fresh aroma. We're buying the 50 oz at $3.33, so I'm not complaining.

littlegreeny thanked Michael
  • doreycrouse
    6 years ago

I'm considering using Cheer powder again after the new formulation. I just hope the scent hasn't changed. I would like to see how well CR rates it.

littlegreeny thanked doreycrouse
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Greeny, have you heard anything about if Cheers scent changed?

Thank You Greeny for posting Cheers change.

• livebetter
    6 years ago

I feel Meh about US Persil. The 2in1 has seemed good for stains but the scents get me - I don't hate them but not so sure about them either. I more often reach for my Miele powders or Tide HE liquid (bleach alt or stain release). I don't love the Tide scents either to be honest. Only the Miele ones don't offend me lol.

littlegreeny thanked livebetter
  • littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't believe Cheer has changed the scent. I've smelled the boxes at the stores and they smell the same to me. Sea Sea sent me some to try and there is some scent left on my laundry after washing. It smells old fashioned to me but I'm not sure how recently she purchased it though...

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Wonder when the Cheer formula changed, I know many stores probably still have old stock..strange that the old didn't go on mark down to make ready for the new.

• Jody
    6 years ago

As old as I am and as long as I have been doing laundry, I don't think I have ever used Cheer. Don't know why. I will have to pick up a bottle just for kicks one day and try it out.

littlegreeny thanked Jody
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

P&G really ought to advertise a bit for their Cheer, even just a new print on the box saying reformulated..I know advertising would drive the price up, but if they would put out some coupons stating it went under a change and has been upgraded to attack more stains than sales would go up, on the other hand Tide sales could drop lol. But regardless if they are selling a product they should at least have minimial advertising. P&G has always put all their eggs in the Tide box, that's why they got rid of Oxydol, well they got rid of the Oxydol name but still have the formula in the vault...they wanted Tide to be their top detergent. Once upon a Time Cheer was a grand detergent, but P&G was not about to let it compete with their baby, which is why I think Cheer has gone thru so many changes. Now another change, more enzymes, this frankly surprises me. I do want to try the new formula and I'm hoping its less sudsy than the current Cheer.

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I recently noticed the price of Cheer powder went up a few dollars a box at Target. Coincidence? Probably not.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

"I'm fed up with the US version of Persil (any formula).

The color formula from Germany is another story and works great WITH OUT CRAZY SUDS."

I've heard great over the top raves about Persil sold in Germany, but not here in the USA. Are they different formulas? If so, why???

About washing stains: I've always heard that oil/grease stains (like the green blouse shown) are to be washed in HOT water. I do that with Hub's greasy work clothes. They do not get clean in any other temp.

I've bought Cheer in the past, but Tide gives me better results. In my area, Target is expensive, so I don't usually shop there.

littlegreeny thanked jujufull
  • jujufull
    6 years ago

Someone mentioned Era. Is it still on the market? I used to use it and loved it, but then it seemed to disappear and ever since then I've used Wisk. Now Wisk has disappeared (or will soon, depending on the store). :-(

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Era is still on the market but the original formula no longer contains enzymes. The free and clear, oxi, and febreze versions still contain enzymes though.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Grease and oil does need hot water for the main wash, but either a cool prewash or shoot it with cool water first is required to prevent the stain from setting..oxidizing.

• Jerrod
    6 years ago

I have had very good results with Persil 2n1 liquid and Persil Pro Perls. I don't use additives so the detergent must stand on it's own. Sorry that the Pro Perls are discontinued because they do an excellent job for me when cleaning ground in dirt and on items that require Oxygen bleach such as whites.

Don't see me using anything else unless I alternate with Miele Detergents or Persil from Germany.

I dose by load size and soil level and don't seem to have any problem with oversudsing or scent although I don't think I want to try intense scent of any product.

I would like to have a USA Persil detergent for colors but that is a no go here in the USA so I have to accept that.

Overall I would much prefer the use of powders over liquids, the trend with manufactures is to produce liquids and pods. There are no powders sold in my local supermarket anymore, and my local target has a few toploader powder detergents pushed over against a wall away from the rest of the detergents, no he powder at all.

So I guess the summary is that I am happy with USA Persil Products.

littlegreeny thanked Jerrod
  • venmar
    6 years ago

Brushworks, wow, where are you buying 50 oz. for $3.33? I recently bought the Intense Fresh and find the scent less offensive than original liquid, ProCaps original also less offensive than original liquid if I only use 1 cap. The Power Pearls to me seem the best scent, less is best to me, and it tends to fade quickly in a few days. Interestingly I have noticed that some cottons, especially jersey knits seem to retain more of the scent but I won't be using original liquid on pillow cases or pyjamas again after having to ditch them in the middle of the night recently, the scent too obnoxious. You can see I am wanting to make Persil work but coming from using unscented or natural lavender oil scented products almost exclusively the original liquid is just too much even with a second rinse, soft Pacific NW water, Vancouver, Canada

littlegreeny thanked venmar
  • livebetter
    6 years ago

Intense Fresh was created for the NA market. To have a scent more in keeping with their tastes (so a buyer told me).

littlegreeny thanked livebetter
  • littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another fun fact: I was looking at P&G's powder detergent ingredients and noticed the USA version of Ariel powder has the same formula as Cheer powder:

Sodium Carbonate

Sodium Sulfate

Sodium Aluminosilicate

Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate

Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Sodium Polyacrylate

Silicate

Water

Sodium Percarbonate

Fragrance

Silicone

Protease

Amylase

Lipase

Sea Sea, I wonder when you tried the USA Ariel if the formula was different?

• Cedric Owens
    6 years ago

Greeny is that to say that USA Ariel powder is safe to use on darks?

littlegreeny thanked Cedric Owens
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Well, which USA Ariel are we talking about. Used to be Ariel in the US came in a bag think it said Ariel Classico USA all in rather big letters. This powder was all white and smelled almost exactly like the old white Tide...than about a year ago it disappeared and a new Ariel took its place in US stores with the Ariel bag looking very much like the Mexican bag and the powder is now blueish green With multi colored specks and now smells almost exactly like Mexican Ariel.

Cedric, I don't know how much Sodium percarbonate is in Ariel..is it only trace amounts to neutralize chlorine in tap water or is it for whitening..I know Mexican Ariel has sodium percarbonate and it really whitens well enough that I wouldn't trust it on darks. Ariel has another formula for darks and colors. Ariel Color and Style..looks and smells exactly like Cheer.

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beagle, thanks so much for the kind words!!

P&G only has one Ariel ingredient sheet listed for Ariel on their USA website; Ariel Color Powder. I would assume this is the Ariel Original Scent Powder you can find at the likes of Walmart, etc. I would not expect this to be the formula available at a Mexican/Hispanic grocery.

It looks like the same formula as Cheer, so I would say it's safe for colors. I've never tried it so can't give a personal opinion on its performance or how it smells on finished laundry.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

This is the Ariel bag that was sold at Walmart up until a year ago

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

This is the powder from that bag

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

This is the bag Walmart has been selling for the past almost year

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

This is the powder from the new bags

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Last I checked Ariel and Ariel Color and Style were different formulas. I have never found the color and style in any store other than Ollies warehouse.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

See what I mean about the US version changing bags somewhat and the powders color and scent changed. I have a pic somewhere of the newest Ariel and Mexican Ariel..let me look

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Mexican Ariel on the left Walmarts on right.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Here's a pic of Ariel Color..its the liquid but it also comes in powder. I once had a huge box and remember than my search showed Ariel color to be the same as Cheer...but at least than the Ariel Color and Ariel USA were different formulas.

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Mama for your contributions to the discussion. It seems the only way to set this straight is to contact P&G to see. I guess it's totally possible they don't have the ingredient sheet for the new Ariel at Walmart posted on their website.

And I've seen two versions of liquid Ariel in the Mexican markets (regular and color).

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I'm confused...is your Ariel ingrident list for Ariel sold at Walmart or Ariel Color?

• larsi_gw
    6 years ago

The Ariel I bought that is marked for sale in central and south America looks like the Mexican one, NOT the Walmart one. It works phenomenally well. Not too sudsy, clean rinsing and smells great!!

littlegreeny thanked larsi_gw
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Larsi..your right it works fantastic. Even without phosphates the Mexican Ariel is a power to be reckoned with.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Forgot to mention the Newer Walmart Ariel that's light blue smells almost exactly like the real Mex A...but talk about suds.

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Isn't the Walmart Ariel the USA version? The ingredient sheet I posted was the only Ariel ingredient sheet on P&G's USA website...That's why I assumed those were the ingredients of the Ariel at Walmart.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Yes Greeny but what throws me off is your ing list states for Ariel Color which is different from Ariel USA LOL. Too many different Ariels and formulations for them are of course all different.

• Cedric Owens
    6 years ago

Mamap, you do realize you're saying too many different Ariels when the product is owned by a company that makes 47 different versions (exaggeration, I know) of Tide right?

littlegreeny thanked Cedric Owens
  • SEA SEA
    6 years ago

Greeny,

In answer to your question/s regarding how old the Cheer and Ariel (Latin version) might be...I bought the powder Cheer thru Target dot com about 3 months ago. How old that stock was at the time, I don't know. I didn't save the boxes. The boxes didn't say anything about "reformulated" or "new and improved", so it's likely to be the previous unimproved formulation. If it gets any better than it is now with improvements, well then, just call me one happy girl! I just hope they don't improve it the way P&G improved their scent of Tide cause then I'll be sad. I l-o-v-e the light, clean scent of powder Cheer.

The powder Ariel (Latin) I am currently using is a couple months old. Again, I have no way to know how old the stock was when I bought it as I threw the bags away as soon as I got them home and poured the powder into my plastic storage bins. The American Ariel that I choose not to buy again, I bought in Feb 2017. It cleaned well. I just could NOT stand the scent and it left our laundry rough. For us to say that it's rough says a lot since I never use liquid fabric softener, so we are used to laundry not being Downey softened. I do use Bounce fabric softener sheets when needed, but that's only for static control since it's so dry here, we have to use a dryer sheet, or else all clothing is a static-y mess when put in the dryer. I find the softening of dryer sheets to be marginal, compared to liquid fabric softener. Way way back, in the stone age, I used to use liquid Downey, but when we moved to this location, the static was too strong even for LFS, and I had to change to dryer sheets.

I hope that helps!

What a great discussion! Being a laundry fan, I am enjoying this thread!

Have a great day everyone.

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago

PS,

I totally agree with MamaP,

Mexican Ariel is a powerhouse detergent. It does make light work of our tough laundry issues here--body oils and sweat from certain family members (and one lovely, but smelly cat). After reading this thread, I'm going to have to go to the Mexican market and make a spectacle of myself again.

I'll have to practice my "Don't judge me!" while I am waiting my turn in line. lol

• jujufull
    6 years ago

"Era is still on the market but the original formula no longer contains enzymes. The free and clear, oxi, and febreze versions still contain enzymes though."

Thank you, littlegreeny. I'll keep this in mind if I see any Era on store shelves.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

Someone may have already mentioned this. I used to buy Cheer for Darks when I was using a traditional washer. But I haven't seen any for HE washers. I really miss it.

• littlegreeny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

juju, unfortunately Cheer for Darks has been discontinued.

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago

Jujuful,

We don't have any powders on our retail shelves here. Only liquids. I order powder Cheer on-line through Target dot com and Walmart dot com has it too at last check. I try not to shop at Walmart when possible, but if I was forced, I would make a WM dot come purchase to get Cheer powder.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

Cheer for Darks has been discontinued.

This is a big disappointment - I was hoping they had come out with an HE formula - but at least I know not to look for it. Thanks.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

SEA SEA, I have not thought to look at Walmart for Cheer powder. I don't recall seeing Cheer in powder form in years, so I haven't looked anywhere for it. But if I am at Walmart in the future, I'll check to see. Thanks.