SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick7764

Need some color/finish guidance on my vintage-inspired kitchen!

nick7764
6 years ago

Alright! First time posting here :)

Hi all! I'm a 26 year old architect in Baltimore.

So I'm finally doing the kitchen in my first house, a 1930's colonial revival. I want to keep true to the house's roots (also I love vintage everything), so I really want it to have a vintage feel, even though we're doing a few things like partially opening up the wall to create a sort of pass through/bar.

Input/opinions in general are welcome, but I would love color/finish advice. Because it is a very narrow galley kitchen, we're thinking white cabinets. The cabinets would all be inset, butt hinges, and pretty simple. Probably shaker style. Exact hardware TBD. Subway tile/dark grout on the walls, with a period style vent-a-hood stove vent. Soapstone counters. Currently planning on a black (?) big chill pro stove, and integrated fisher paykel fridge and dishdrawer. (I would have gone with a restored vintage stove, but don't have the budget for it currently).

So the floor.... I like the classic checkered look, but if we're spending so much on other stuff, I feel odd about going with vinyl flooring. Is there a better alternative? We're also considering various mosaic patterns, and possibly unglazed smaller black/white tile. I love a simple white hex mosaic floor with black accents, but I worry its too much white everywhere, and it won't be grounded.

In general, keep in mind I've been putting this together in sketchup, so patterns/colors are not exact. The alignment of patterns and everything is a little off.

Any advice?

Comments (11)