SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Oh no! Big time rot

Crenda 10A SW FL
6 years ago

I'm usually over in the c&s forum, but I lurk here often. This post is going to be heavy on pictures. I hope that is OK with everyone because I don't know how to describe what I am seeing.

I got this plant last may and repotted it in a gritty mix of perlite, granite, turface and reptibark. Because of this big and lop-sided caudex, I used a larger plastic container. I think the plastic was a mistake. It was too awkward to stay in the large terra cotta pot I had and I went with what I had. It stays outside all year long and is one of 3 that I have.

Here is the caudex last May.

Here is what is left so far - and I am certainly not done.

I saw noting wrong with the plant on June 3rd, but I probably missed something. I felt the caudex because of the odd look at the bottom, but it was firm.

By June 7th, the rot was fully apparent.

I depotted it last night and was shocked at the extent of the rot.

It is not stinky and the black junk is like compost. This is after I washed it off with the hose. You can see a couple of rotted roots in there, but most of the roots look fine. I was (rather naively) hoping to save some of the large and firm portions of the caudex.

Comments (65)

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    6 years ago

Wow, that is some amputation, Crenda! I believe most people wouldn't touch this thread because the plant simply may not make it. You're well versed in succulent care and know the risks. All you can do is cut to clean tissue and hope for the best. If you initially see clean tissue like this:

following your last cut, you're good. That ring showing in the photo may or may not be rot. To make sure, cut off another 1/2 inch and observe the cut carefully during the first few seconds. Clean? Apply sulfur and hang it to dry for about three weeks. Check after a week and post a picture. It's important to follow atrophy as shown in your Monday 4:19pm post. That kind of sunken atrophy is indicative of tissue death.

If this plant makes it and you want to create centipede roots, please review the following and make sure you lance the border, as well, now:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Maria Elena

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
  • ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b)
    6 years ago

It's not the turning a little dark that concerns me, but the darker spot in the middle picture at 1 o'clock. Can you post a close-up of it?

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b)
  • Related Discussions

OH dear, fin rot, now what?

Q

Comments (14)
    When I treated mine, I just caught him each day I put him in the dip. No more than 5 min are instructions. I used a timer and had an airstone in the gallon container I used. I put him back in the bag of pond water that I brought him in the house in and took him back to the pond and released him. Even in Fl we have had some pretty cool morning temps. so I didn't necessarily warm him up. Especially 80 degrees. I can only say this worked for me. My husband is the same way, just can't see going to all that trouble and besides he thought they were the easiest thing in the world to raise. But he also knows that after 47 years that I am going to do what I want to anyway he just has to get over it. And he does some dumb things I don't always agree with but that's life. I always say "whatever it takes to float your boat". Glenda
    ...See More

Uh-oh - big problem with my lilies - see pics

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks grumpy, I think the oil was added to this recipe for insects...like scale and such. Sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't. I can't tell a difference either way. I do use ivory liquid dish detergent (not the bar soap). Someone told me that Dawn dish liquid was too strong and would kill my plants. So I bought the Ivory. But now I've read other people who say they only use Dawn. So I'm not sure which is best. I've been spraying and nothing seems to be getting worse. I didn't have this problem last year. And this year we are in the middle of a drought. I can't remember the last time we had rain...months and months ago. I don't know if there's any correlation? Keeping my fingers crossed, here. I may get blooms despite it all!
    ...See More

Oh No! Drooping Big time!!

Q

Comments (1)
    That looks like dampening-off to me. This fungus likes a warm, moist atmosphere with little, or no, air circulation. If you want to prevent it in the future let the soil dry out some between waterings and provide good air circulation. Alan
    ...See More

Oh no....another big lizard! (pic)

Q

Comments (18)
    Lizards don't bother me, and I think they are cute. I have a lizard carving (from Indonesia) in my kitchen, but no real lizards. I had chameleons in Austin that would sit on the ferns in my yard and lick water off the fronds after I had watered them. Occasionally, one would get into the house, but then the exhaust from my stove consisted of a hole in the wall which was in front of where my ferns were. At my parents house, I once opened the silverware drawer to find a HUGE cottonmouth snake that had crawled up along the kitchen sink pipes. I was about 12 at the time and had never been so scared in my life. I tried to scream, but no sound would come out. My father had to take it outside and kill it. He normally didn't kill snakes because he thought they ate mice and rats, but they also stole chicken eggs. Plus a cottonmouth is very poisonous. I'm fine with spiders, except for black widows. Tarantulas make me nervous also, especially when they migrate in huge hoards. When I was about 8, I was surrounded by a huge hoard of them on my grandfather's ranch. Unfortunately, I was barefoot at the time and was trying to pick my way through a sticker patch, and so running away from them was not an option. Also, they are very good jumpers. Lars
    ...See More
    6 years ago

Connie, I am hoping that could be oxidation, which is my reason for suggesting Crenda cut another 1/2" and observe the first seconds ... or take a photo immediately after and share.

• Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    thanks for tip on the sulfur will buy some to have it handy at all times. does it work for orchids and other plants as well I am not well versed in chemistry
    Crenda 10A SW FL thanked Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
  • Libby 9a/10 Alfonso
    6 years ago
    btw. that tattoo is absolutely awesome. if I wasn't 63 it would be on me
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I spent most of yesterday trying to find sulfur. Nobody has it around here. I finally found a product with 40% sulfur, so that will have to do. I have used other products by this company, so I think it will be alright.

Here is after I cut off another 1/4 inch. There were still a couple of dark spots that concerned me.

So I cut another slab off.

I wasn't sure if that spot at 11 o'clock was a knife gouge or more rot, so I trimmed it and it looked fine to me.

Quite a change from the original caudex, but I think I have gotten all of the rot. Not the first plant that I've had to severely cut back, but I can hope it is the last! (Yes, I am a Pollyanna!)

So I will be watching like a hawk for the next week. I have it inside for now. Please feel free to disagree if you think I haven't gotten cut back to good tissue.

Couldn't have done this without y'all giving me good advice. Thanks!

6 years ago

Crenda,

That was quite an ordeal. I truly wish you well with this one. Please keep us updated.

In the meantime, please check your substrate. You want something very free-draining, non water-retaining to prevent a recurrence.

Maria Elena

• Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
    6 years ago

Maria have u ever tried lime sulfur liquid I'm testing it on a DR in the garden covered in black scale

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
    6 years ago

Hi Peter -

No, I have never tried sulfur at all because the cinnamon works for me. For scale, aphids, mealy, I have effectively treated my plants as follows:

- Check any new plants you may have introduced to your garden. 99.9% of the time, I have found that these pests were introduced by a newly acquired plant.

- Quarantine plant(s) but maintain outdoors with plenty of fresh air circulation.

- Using a cotton swab / paper towel dipped in alcohol, hand pick the insects off. Be sure to carefully check the underside of leaves and all soft stems.

- Once most of the pest is removed, wet the plant with a hose. Suds up the entire plant with a mild dishwashing liquid (Palmolive, Dawn, Seventh Generation) and literally wash your plant, including the leaves. Take your time ... Do not rush this process. It's important that you have been thorough. Use an old SOFT toothbrush if you need to. Rinse thoroughly.

- Lift plant up off the ground, away from ants and all the junk you just washed off it.

- Check plant daily and remove any residual pests.

One single treatment has always worked for me ... The pests never returned. I find that ants are a major culprit. They transport many insects, so try to keep them away from your plants. If your adeniums are planted inground, use a product called Tangleroot, which is "painted" onto the base of the trunk to keep ants from crawling up into your trees. TIP: If you see lots of ants on your plants, they are very likely infested.

If you have Insecticidal Soap or Neem Oil, use it regularly at 1/2 strength. I regularly spray my plants with both. I've been using the following recipe for insecticidal soap, gleaned from master organic gardener Jerry Baker. It has always worked very well for me. Works on houseplants, orchids, etc.

4-4-2 Insecticidal Soap Tonic

In a 1 gallon (128 oz) sprayer, mix 4 tsp Baking Soda, 4 tsp Cooking Oil, 1 gallon Water. Shake well.

Add 2 tsp Mild Dish Detergent (Palmolive, Dawn, Seventh Generation)

I also add 2 tsp Minty Mouthwash. The juice of 2 Garlic Cloves can also be added. Bugs hate this stuff.

Spray daily until the problem is eradicated. This solution will keep for 2 weeks. After that, the oil will begin to become rancid.

Happy Gardening!

Maria Elena

• Jean
    6 years ago

Great advice Maria Elena!! Looks like I have ALOT OF WORK TO DO! I have been trying to eradicate three of those pests! I will definitely try your advice THANK YOU!

-Jean

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Jean, I also use Bonide systemic on my non-edibles, when needed. You may be interested in this post, as well:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3781036/schefflera-has-pests

• John Lasseter (Fl)
    6 years ago

I've lost two obesiums to rot this year.....

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked John Lasseter (Fl)
    6 years ago
    Thanks Maria sorry for the slow thank you I have had my leg operated on and we had to put th computer in for repair I'm using my phone it only shows up if someone comments on my threads I'm going to make up your potion when I get back on my feet thanks again
    6 years ago

Crenda, How's it going?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So far things are going well. Caudex is firm and no more signs of rot. Yea!!

I also unpotted a cutting I had done from this plant last year. My neighbor returned it to me with no limbs! She didn't know what was wrong.

A closer look revealed scale. I got rid of the scale and may have to cut back a little. I don't see any leaf scars on the branch nubs. But I am duly impressed by these roots!

You can see the soil line and the line where the roots formed.

So back into dry gritty mix for that one.

6 years ago

Glenda is that one a cutting

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just a word about my potting mix. I use a gritty mix for all of my succulents. And I still cut the soil for my annuals in pots with 50-60% perlite. My reason is - summer. It rains all summer starting in June and ending the first of October. Without a well draining mix my plants will all drown.

I use Turface, Granite Grit and Perlite. Generally speaking, I use a 1-2-2 mix of the ingredients with Turface being the least. I can always tweak the mix for any plants that require more or less moisture. But again, getting my plants through the summers is the hardest part. And they stay outside all year long.

I quit using bark in my mix because it decays quickly in the heat and moisture and I have a compost in the pots that retains too much water. And guess what? I used bark in the large pot for this desert rose. I wanted to cut down the weight on the pot (so I could move it if a hurricane is headed our way). I think that was a mistake on my part. I also did not seem to put as much perlite in the mix as usual. In the end, it was a mix that held water for too long and since I used a plastic pot, evaporation was further impeded.

So I'll be correcting a few things before I repot this plant.

6 years ago

Yeah I get were you are coming from i used reptile bark in the bottom of my pots to cover the holes , it is winter here now been raining constantly for two weeks so removed 40 plants out of the pots the bark was rotten I went back to my corse coco choir I put about 1 to 2 " depending on the pot putting them back out side next week after drying them out all my plants are outside to.

6 years ago

Crenda,

I don't follow you. When you say you don't see any leaf scars, are you referring to where old leaves fell off on that particular cutting? I see many. Every single "smile" is a leaf scar. Cut at an angle and you will activate the surrounding nodes to branch.

Maria Elena

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess I wasn't clear. This is what it looked like when I gave it to her in March. The top was branched and has nice growth.

When she gave it back, it looked like the above picture - no leaves and most of each branch gone. I actually thought she had cut them off for some reason, but after finding the scale I am not so sure.

I do not see leaf scars on what is left of those 2 branches. There might be one or two, but there is also scarring from the scale. You can see that there is still some scale in this picture. The ends of these 2 branches are pretty iffy, too.

So I cut just below where it branched and we'll start again.

6 years ago

You repotted the rooted part, then? It should branch out nicely. I would've cut lower on the stem, just for less of a bare stem with more compact growth.

Please be sure to get all the scale off & quarantine or it'll infect your other plants.

Keep us posted!!

Maria Elena

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here we are a week later. Unfortunately, when I was sprinkling the sulfur mix on the plant a bunch dumped out! So there is more on here than intended. I used a little paintbrush to get a lot of it off.

Everything is firm. No further discoloration on the caudex. Now for the callousing - is that sunken area OK or is that an indication of bad things happening inside? I've never tried to callous something this large before. It hasn't sunk any more for the last 5 days, so this happened almost right away, then stopped. Again, firm in the middle of the stump.

• jedobaTX9b
    6 years ago

looks good to me. (dehydrated, but good under the circumstances)

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked jedobaTX9b
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's what I was thinking, too, but being a novice at this . . . =)

6 years ago

Crenda,

When a plant is left to callous over, you will see a little atrophy ... it's normal. So happy to hear everything is firm. That is a great sign.

Maria Elena

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, again, Everyone! Sorry I haven't provided an update, but waiting for roots is not very exciting. I did get the plant stabilized in a pot, out of direct sunlight and rain. I have threatened anyone who gets near enough to bump it! LOL (I don't know why it looks dark, but the mix is turface, granite grit and perlite.)

I am not fond of pulling a plant out to see if there are any roots. I'm afraid of knocking off any new roots. And yes, I'm very tempted. But I do see signs of growth up top. New leaves!

A closer look at a couple of them -

I think we have turned the corner! Yea!!

I have been misting the plant lately. It has been soooo humid that I have been afraid to give it a good watering. My other plants have not been drying out, and given the recent rot I do not want to take a chance with this one.

Thanks for all the help and support you've given me!

6 years ago

Great job! Please keep us updated, Crenda.

• Marie Tran
    6 years ago

Crenda, I wish you all the luck.....

Marie

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked Marie Tran
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Ladies! All signs are looking good so far.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    6 years ago

Wow, that was some surgery wasn't it? Glad to read the plant survived the operation and goes on to make a full recovery Crenda, please keep us updated as to its progress.

Gill

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
  • Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

How's it going Crenda... wondering how your plant is recuperating.. great thread everyone

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked Sara Sidwell
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, Sara! The plant is coming along nicely. New leaves and branches are sprouting. I am so wanting to see what is going on below the soil, but I will resist. The top tells me things are going well. Thanks for asking!

I tried to take a picture, but the light is too low and the quality is poor. I'll see what I can do tomorrow and post a couple of updates.

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Yay I'm so happy for you, it's pulling through... and so happy for the ppl that DIDNT knock that pot/plant over lolol, have you been able to water normally now? Can't wait to see pics.. keep us updated on this lil guy .. he has a great caudex still and the roots may be spectacular after a little while, you have great patience my friend as I prob would have looked under there by now.. but so glad you've decided to wait as to not damage any forming roots.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We should be close to ending the rainy season, although I am still leery of the tropical lows dumping rain on us. But hopefully I can start weaning this guy into the sunshine. It's in bright shade right now.

I don't know if you can see all of the buds, but I have pointed out a few.

And a closer look -

And one more -

I know those pruned stems look a tad ugly. I had used wood glue on another cut stem on a different plant and it rotted. Since I was already dealing with rot on this plant, I decided to forego the glue.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    6 years ago

Crenda,

Looking good so far. You have done such a marvelous job with this plant.

You know, I have used the Waterproof Wood Glue and the Super glue for above ground issues and although they are good products. I have found with a couple of larger plants that I have used it on, that if it where to have just healed over on it's own. I believe that the appearance would be a bit more natural and the bark/skin of the Adenium would have healed over giving a much more natural old scar area. With the Woodglue it always remains a biege color, unlike bark or skin. The superglue it similar, just not biege.

My experiences with hard pruning which is visible above the soil level.

Rick

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked rcharles_gw (Canada)
  • Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Wow what great info Rick .. thank you as well fir that, and Crenda I'm so happy for you as it looks amazing with all the new buds coming out, what a great sign that is!!! And I don't think the cut marks look that bad, I've most definitely seen worse however I also just started using the glue method thanks to Rick and Patty... I'm so blessed as I believe it saved my adenium as it also had the most horrible rot .. HATE ROT btw!! Lol but thanks to you guys for sharing your endless knowledge and tips and for sharing your story Crenda as it helps to see others going through the same thing and seeing your progress..please keep me updated ;)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just wanted to show what a little sunshine and time will do!

I did have to clean up the leaves today. There was a soft brownish scale that I did not notice sooner because it kind of blended in. (even if it doesn't look like it in this picture) I think I've had this before on other DRs and removing them with a cotton ball and alcohol worked then. I will keep an eye on them and spray down again in few days. And there was honey dew and ants on the plant, too!

But all in all, things are looking good!

6 years ago

Hi Crenda,

I am so happy you were able to save this plant and gain all this experience in the process! This is a great instructional post.

I would love to see an update in the summer. If you prune off all the soft, weak branches about half way down at the beginning of spring, you will activate multiple branching and have that many more blooms for summer.

Maria Elena

• westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
    6 years ago

Is there a sulfur powder on Amazon that anyone in this thread can recommend? I am hoping to find a powder I can just sprinkle onto a fresh wound after I do a cutting. Having it in powder versus liquid form is nice because you can visually confirm the adherence of the powder to the cutting and make sure there is uniform coverage.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just another update. Scale is gone and late spring rains are making my plants happy. I could probably prune back some of the skinnier branches, but I'm still a little leery - or timid. I'm one of those people who prunes one or two branches at a time - just in case I mess up!

Can't thank y'all enough for all the help and advice you've given me!

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nice, Crenda!! Is this the plant that had root rot last year? If so, I am so happy for the followup. It's looking strong! Great job!!

Maria Elena

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes! Hard to believe it, but that is the same plant. Thanks for all the help!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I looked out this morning and saw that my post-op plant has broken the pot!

I was hoping (assuming, really) that this meant I have some nice fat roots. And there are plenty of roots. I haven't cleaned up anything and there is still some gritty mix clinging between roots.

And another view -

I am seeing some discoloration on the caudex that concerns me greatly! And darn it all if some of the roots don't look bad, too.

Definitely looks like rot. But could it been from heat? The plant is usually on an elevated plant cart, but I moved it when another plant had 'cooties.' (probably mealies, but I don't remember what it had) So it sat on the deck in full sun, and the deck does get hot. That is a 6-inch plastic pot with lots of drainage holes.

I'll do another post on the caudex . . .

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Last June, when I amputated and dried the plant and treated the caudex cut with sulfur, it looked like this. The very outer tissue of the caudex looks a little crispy and separating from the caudex, but I thought that was just part of it drying out. This picture was posted above, too.

Here's what the bottom of it looks like now.

But the edge of the caudex, where the roots are emerging, looks dark, like dirt -- or rot. I have not yet probed this in depth, but a squeeze of the caudex feels hard. But I've been fooled by that before!

Here's a couple more views with a bamboo skewer. In the pictures of the discolored caudex above, you can see a dark spot on the second one right in the middle. Here's a better look at that -

And here's a look at the back. The entire edge of the caudex looks like it is peeling off, is soft and possibly rotted. This is not normal, is it? The plant that Maria Elena posted has a nice rim on the caudex.

So is more surgery in order? I have to say, this was a surprise to me! But maybe this time I have caught it early enough to not have the massive problem in the first post.

As usual - all advice is welcome! Thank you, again!

5 years ago

Oh, no!! That is not supposed to happen with gritty mix!! Someone please tell me what happened here. So sorry, Crenda.

ROUND 2

Scrape all the black / brown off to clean tissue ... All of it. You know the drill.

Maria Elena

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Maria Elena. I think I knew what I had to do as soon as I saw it. I'm completely shocked to see this happen. If that pot hadn't split I would not have repotted until the end of summer - after a bunch of rain!

I have 4 other plants that look fine, however, they are not sitting on the hot deck. I really don't know if that matters. I have other plants sitting on the deck, but they do not have the nice fat roots that DR has.

I'll have a nice terra cotta pot for this one, too. It has rotted twice in plastic pots, so I'll make a change. Darn darn darn.

I'll keep y'all informed.

• User
    5 years ago

Crenda, sorry to see you’re having problems with this plant again. Having your plant sitting on the hot deck would not have caused rot to develop. Rot is caused from too wet conditions, cold, drainage problems or fungal issues/disease.

Having said that, you will sometimes find that one desert rose seems to be more susceptible to rot then others, continuing to have rot issues year after year. This plant may be one of those....(It was around this same time last year that you had rot in this plant.)

Dare I suggest, that maybe it’s time to let this plant go to adenium heaven, rather then fight this issue each season. Maybe it would be better to buy yourself a replacement plant that you can enjoy without the heartbreak of rot issues. Of course if this is a particular favourite of yours, maybe it’s worth the effort. Good luck either way.

Crenda 10A SW FL thanked User
Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living