SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

Help me buy a white rose for my Aunt Helen?

User
6 years ago

On Saturday, DH and I had our annual "Rose Day" party, when we invite friends and family over to enjoy our garden. My 84-year-old Aunt Helen came, as she usually does, and mentioned sadly that she had a white rose that died. I want to get her one as a surprise! Now, my Aunt Helen is a wonderful gardener, but she's not particularly knowledgeable about roses. So I want to get her something that is big and beautiful and blooming, not a band or a cutting that she'd have to baby along for a while before getting results. I asked her if she liked singles or doubles, and she said doubles - my guess is her image is probably something hybrid tea-like, though I bet she'd enjoy a full English rose look. My first thought was, in fact, having one of those David Austin potted roses sent. But I remember some people here on the forum had not-so-good experiences with them. So, yesterday I started checking out the local garden centers. Here's what I found:

HTs - John F Kennedy, Full Sail, and Honor. I don't grow much in the way of HTs - can anybody comment on these? HMF lists all 3 as only hardy to zone 7b, so if that's true, probably a deal-killer in that I think my aunt is in roughly the same zone as me, which is 6 (she's maybe a little warmer being in a slightly more urban area, but I don't want to take chances). Does anybody in zone 6 grow any of these? Also - how is disease resistance (I know that can be an issue with some of the older HTs)?

Shrub - Iceberg. This is an old and reliable one, and one that I grow and love. But I'm a little concerned that when fully open its not double enough - that it doesn't quite have the look that my aunt enjoys.

Claire Austin - found this at a very upscale garden center (for $50 a plant! But for this purpose, I don't mind splurging even though I know the garden center is way over-pricing their plants). I also grow and love Claire Austin, and she does well for me. So this is a strong contender; even though not a classic HT shape, I think its "double-ness" would be a good thing.

I intend to keep scouting locally. I wish I could find some nice white floribunda (Bolero comes to mind); but any comments on the above selections would be appreciated. Or does anybody have other ideas of how I could get a nice, in-bloom rose sent to my aunt? (Any GOOD experiences with the DA potted roses, for example? If I went that direction, I could also choose Tranquility or Winchester Cathedral, though I think I'd skip the latter since I seem to remember complaints that it frequently reverts to Mary Rose-pinkness). Many thanks in advance!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH