SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_coopersmith

NEED HELP with existing 112" Bathroom Mirror

Jill Coopersmith
6 years ago

We are recovering from a flood in which all of our floors and cabinets were removed and a 2-foot drywall cut was made on every wall throughout our home. Now we are in the beginning stages of reconstruction.

In our master bathroom we have a 112" wide wall mirror affixed to the wall above the vanity wall (which is 116" wide). We are getting all new cabinets and counters, but the mirror is still on the wall. We measured the bottom edge of the mirror to be 36 5/8 from the floor. (see pics below)

The replacement cabinets we have selected are 32-1/2" high, and we are replacing a standard laminate countertop with a cultured marble countertop, which will run the full 116" width, as our laminate did.

The challenge is that the integrated backsplash of the new marble countertop is 5-5/8" high, which extends 1-1/8" past the bottom edge of the mirror.

Seems like I have a few options:

1. Stick with my selections and have the contractor trim the bottom of the vanity cabinets and toe kicks to exactly fit under the mirror. This of course is risky if the contractor is not skilled in doing these sort of modifications.

2. Change my vanity cabinet selections to 30-1/2" tall and have the contractor shim them up to exactly fit under the mirror, and install extended toe kicks to accommodate. This also is dependent on the skill level of the contractor.

3. Stick with my selections and have the mirror trimmed to exactly fit to the top of the countertop's backsplash.

4. Have the contractor remove the mirror and reinstall the mirror after the vanity cabinets and countertop are installed. If the mirror cannot be removed without damaging the drywall, we would have to pay for the repair or replacement, and If the mirror is damaged we would have to purchase a new one ($750-$1000).

I question the feasibility of options 1 and 2... trying to retrofit everything around the mirror to look correctly seems like it will be harder than setting the mirror in place last. Also both of these options will alter the height of the vanity to lower than I want. Option 3 and 4 both seem like reasonable approaches, but I am not sure if they are even possible.

Can someone advise on the feasibility of trimming a mirror, or removing/resetting a mirror of that size without damaging it?

Looking for advice and recommendations. Thanks!

Comments (15)