SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanga7a

Transplanted beech trees and shock

When do I know when “transplant shock" is over for transplanted beech trees? I live in Northwest GA (metro Atlanta), Zone 7a.

I transplanted two beech trees off a development site two months ago. I will call them Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Thing 1 was .75 inch caliper DBH, 8 feet tall with not as many branches. I dug out a 14-16" root ball in all directions, and down about a foot. I followed the main roots out a few inches beyond the root ball. Thing 2 was ~1.5 inch caliper DBH, ten feet tall with a lot of branches. I dug out a similar size root ball. I planted them both in shade, nearby three older beech seedlings (that are 15-25 feet tall.) I mulched lightly and kept the root balls moist but not soaked. The soil was mostly the native soil around the trees, but I added a mix of 1/3 top soil, 1/3 compost, and 1/3 my-native-backyard-soil. I figure the backyard is a recovering forest because there are six beech trees in the backyard already, and two additional seedlings that I planted last fall that took well.

But back to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Both trees leafed out. The smaller tree (Thing 1) kept its leaves, but didn't grow any. The larger tree (Thing 2) was different: it grew a few inches, then dropped its leaves, but it is now growing a second set of leaves. I kept it watered for two months and checked all twigs, and only 1 or 2 twig ends snapped when I bent them. All others remained flexible. I never trimmed any branch from either tree, thinking that the tree had energy reserves stored in the wood of its branches (not sure how true that is.)

Are these trees now in the clear? Do I need to do anything like feed them a diluted sugar water mix? Should I continue to baby them and keep the soil consistently moist? Re mulch? Add a top soil of compost mixture? Loosen soil three to four feet out from the trees?

A picture of the bigger tree (Thing 2) is below. The green stems were from the first flush of leaves/growth. The first leaves fell from the green stem but the stem has always remained green.

Comments (17)