SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mohom315

Need FL Washing Machine Recommendations Please

mohom315
6 years ago

After 12 years, Whirlpool Duet washing machine rear bearing has broken and appliance repair people say it's not worth fixing. (Once I figured out we needed to leave the door open, clean inside the drum occasionally, and use powdered detergent with periodic empty deodorizing cycles, the Duet has worked well for us.)

I've scoured all the major review sites (CR, My SweetHome, Consumer Search, CNN, Good Housekeeping, etc. plus read reviews at Best Buy, Home Depot) and am more confused than ever!

Repair person is telling me to avoid LG because of poor support; he says they stop making parts for machines 2-3 years old. People complain about leaks also. Electrolux seems to be a pretty long wait time (I'd like to get a new machine within a few days), and also according to SweetHome is hard on clothing. CR rates Maytag highly but SweetHome says quality and reliability have gone down. Whirlpool models are not highly rated by anyone it seems. Looked at SpeedQueen but I'd like to stay under $1,000 (but in the 4.2+ capacity range; not looking to go smaller than the Duet).

Noise is not an issue. Just want a machine that will work reliably, clean well, require no more maintenance than the Duet did, and hopefully last as long as the last one. Any advice appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments (12)