SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_rigney

Water/Care for New Sod (Celebration)

Matt Rigney
6 years ago

Thought I'd move a few questions to a new thread since they got buried at the bottom of my reno pictures that no one is probably reading anymore:-) Refresh...put down 7 pallets of Celebration in my backyard last Thur/Fri. Everything is looking pretty good.

1) I got the sod in two separate loads on two days (3.5 pallets each day). We noticed after installing on day 2, a distinct color difference between the two days shipment. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I didn't get two different types of bermuda (say one day they actually loaded me up with tif, then celebration). I don't know how much variation in color there can be amongst Celebration between different lots, especially when it's freshly cut and probably undergoing rapid change in chlorophyll levels. See picture below...I think it should be pretty clear the area I'm talking about.

2) I'm currently watering 2x per day (down from 3x the first few days), keeping the bottom of the sod moist (checking by peeling up a corner). When should I back off from 2x per day and move toward the recommended deep and infrequent schedule?

3) I put down Dr. Earth Lawn Fertilizer (https://drearth.com/products/lawn-food/super-natural-lawn-fertilizer/) before laying. What should my fertilization schedule look like from here on out for this summer (I'm zone 7b)? When should my next application be and of what (soybean meal, alfalfa, etc)? For reference, the sod folks recommend a 13-13-13 at any time.

4) I plugged a small-ish area (5x25) in the back corner of the yard b/c I was a little short of sod. How should I handle weeds that pop up here? Just spot spray with a selective herbicide? The weed that I know is going to pop up is wild violet. They're everywhere in my neighborhood (and I have struggled with them in my yard for years).

Now a random question...I have a chipmunk issue. Anyone have any effective way to get rid of chipmunks besides starting to shoot them?:-) Tired of them burrowing in the yard.

Comments (7)