SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliaarugula

Apple tree - Which do you think is the overgrown rootstock

juliaarugula
6 years ago

This may not be a question anyone can answer and I'll just have to wait and see... I'm not super familiar with standard apple rootstocks, and I'm also not very familiar with crab apples...

We recently bought a house with an apple tree in the backyard. There were no fruit last summer, but this summer I see quite a few obviously developing apples. However, I'm pretty sure this tree has been overtaken by its rootstock. There are about 5 small trunks, and when it bloomed most of them bloomed hot pink, with one or 2 blooming pale pink. The foliage is darker and reddish on the hot pink branches, and it has tiny shriveled fruit about the size of a pea. The apples are on the Trunks with pale pink flowers and green foliage.

So what I keep wondering is this... Would this likely be an ornamental crabapple that is being overtaken by its rootstock which is now fruiting? Or would it more likely be a fruiting variety of apple that is being taken over by a non-fruiting rootstock? I was hoping someone more familiar with rootstocks might venture a guess. So curious as to whether these apples that develop will amount to anything... also wondering if I should take down the rootstock tree at this point, although I don't know which it is... it may be too far gone, also...

Comments (8)