SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_z6

Goldrush apple tree which doesn't grow

bob_z6
12 years ago

I planted a dozen apple trees this spring and aside from 2 M27's which didn't make it, all are growing well. Except this one.

{{gwi:123435}}

The leaves are hanging on, but they are a bit crinkly. It doesn't appear dead, but there isn't much life to it.

{{gwi:123436}}

Most of the trees are in a long line in the center of the yard. I also planted a Goldrush off to the side in front of a south-facing retaining wall (~8 ft tall).

As far as I can tell, this tree (Goldrush on G16 rootstock) hasn't grown at all from when I planted it.

I have another Goldrush (same rootstock) in the long line and it has shot up to 6.5' (90% of its eventual height (7.2' for very good soil) per OrangePippin).

The good Goldrush:

{{gwi:123437}}

Can anyone suggest why the tree in front of the retaining wall hasn't grown any? I figured that it would be a good spot for Goldrush

as it could extend the season a bit on both ends (heats up early in spring and escapes frost by re-radiating heat at night).

My best guess is too much water, as the ground in this area is often moist. There isn't standing water, but there is a fair amount of water in the soil which seeps down from higher ground.

It eventually continues its journey down the hill, so it doesn't ever really flood. It can be visualized as follows with the ":" being the retaining wall and the tree planted on the "_".

\

ÃÂ :_

ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ \

I think it has enough sun- roughly 9am to 4pm at this time of year, though the one in the center of the yard has about 1 extra hour.

Comments (8)