SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Apple Questions from a Beginner - About Rootstocks

brandon7 TN_zone7
16 years ago

Please just don't respond to this post if you are going to say something like "You need to do your own research before you bother us here" or "You just have to try it for yourself". I have spent weeks reading and studying about growing apples and have more questions than when I started. I'm really hoping that someone here has the knowledge and patients to give me some guidance. I have tried searching through older posts, but find that Gardenweb has deleted a vast amount of the older posts that seem like they might have related to my questions.

I am in East Tennessee and have plenty of room to grow any size tree. I think I want to grow apple trees on a standard size or near standard size rootstock. My goal in choosing a larger rootstock is to have a tree that will be around for a long time and be as low maintenance/disease resistant as is reasonably possible. It is my understanding that standard rootstocks are more likely to provide these characteristics.

From what I have seen, the most common standard size rootstock is Antonovka 313. I have noticed that it is prone to fireblight problems, may produce more suckers than some rootstocks, and has a tendency to produce a tree that leans. All these problems concern me. Is there a better full size rootstock that would be available commercially?

Another question regarding Antonovka's problems relates to rootstock/scion combinations. If the rootstock is prone to a problem but the scion is resistant, what happens? For instance, Antonovka is prone to fireblight but Freedom and Liberty are fireblight resistant. If one of these varieties were grafted onto Antonovka, is the tree prone to fireblight or resistant?

I've also considered EMLA 111. The issues I see with this rootstock are slightly shorter lifespan, powdery mildew issues, and burrknots. How much shorter would the lifespan of a tree grafted onto this rootstock be, on average, compared to a full standard size rootstock? If the scion was powdery mildew resistant but the rootstock was susceptible, would the resulting grafted tree be resistant, susceptible, or somewhere in between?

I read that the burrknot problem might be overcome by planting the graft union below ground level, but have not been able to confirm that through other sources or find out why that was true. I've not even been able to find out how much of a problem that burrknots where likely to be. If I use EMLA 111, am I highly likely to experience this problem? Will planting deeper eliminate or reduce this problem? Will the trees I get through commercial growers be grafted low enough to ensure that I would be able to plant the graft union below soil level without planting the tree too deeply for it's own health?

Finally, the ultimate "beginner like" questions....If lifespan and disease resistance is important, size is not an issue, commercial availability is important, and early production is not critical, what's the best rootstock?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County