SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Which apple rootstock for my situation

glenn_russell
15 years ago

Hi all-

After having 7 apple trees for the last 3+ years, some of which are in less than perfect spots (not full sun, near woods so cant clean up leaves), IÂve decided to go for it and plant my front yard, 5-tree orchard. Now my question is rootstocks.

Some of you may have seen some of this info before in my post "Preparing the ground for a front yard orchard" so yes, I know IÂm repeating myself a bit. Sorry about that!

The varieties: IÂm ordering 8 trees. 5 for me, 3 for friends, some duplicates: HoneyCrisp, Ashmeads Kernel, Spitzenburg, Granny Smith, and Korean Giant pear.

The Nurseries: Many of the trees will be coming from Adams County Nursery, and others will be coming from Trees of Antiquity Though, Cummins was good to me, so I may try to get some of the trees from them as well.

The Location: Here's a link to a {{gwi:126032}} ItÂs the center island toward the road that IÂm talking about here. IÂm taking down the maple and two choke cherries behind it (but leaving the large oak that you can barely see behind it) to make room for the 5 trees above. At minimum there will be about 20 feet between trees. Unless of course, after talking rootstocks, people think I should plant denser. :-) The large Oak is to the North so it will still allow the fruit trees to get full sun. I'm moving my dormant 5-1 tree which has struggled due to lack of light to that bright area just in front of the house.

The Soil: The soil to me doesnÂt look so great clay/gravel, etc. But the existing trees like it, so IÂm going to stick with it. I know IÂm not supposed to amend the soil as it will create drainage problems. I will probably add some loam/mulch over the top after planting. To read the full story about my soil, you can see the link above.

IÂd say normally much of the soil is on the dryer side, especially in the summer, but there was a spring that popped up (to the right of the multi-trunk maple) once during a very rainy March. It has now been dealt with with a many yards of crushed rock, and 4" PVC perc pipe. One of the trees may be as close as 10Â away from that. Eeek!?

Finally, The Rootstock question: IÂm trying to match the size of the trees from two nurseries while at the same time trying to pick the rootstock which will work best for me. At Trees of Antiquity, the only choices are Dwarf, Semi Dwarf and Full Size. This makes it easy on me! I plan on going with semi-dwarf. But, I donÂt know what rootstock this is so itÂs hard for me to match the ACN trees to that. Does anyone know what semi-dwarf rootstock ToA is using?

IÂm thinking that IÂm looking for trees that will grow to 12Â or so (I can reach 8Â, ground is good for a ladder). Although I havenÂt done it before, IÂm planning on training all 5 trees to be in the Open Vase style. (IÂm hoping this is still possible with the Korean Giant Pear.)

IÂve have not yet had to deal with Fire Blight, and IÂd like to keep it that way, but there are other considerations. Also, IÂd rather have a freestanding tree than one that IÂd have to give support to when it was mature.

At Adams County,

Granny Smith choices: M-9, EMLA 26, EMLA 7, or Bud118. Leaning towards EMLA 7.

HoneyCrisp: Bud 9, EMLA 26, EMLA 106. Leaning towards EMLA 26

Korean Giant: Only comes in OHF97.

So, after all this, does EMLA 7 on the Granny, and EMLA 26 on the HC look like the best choices for me? IÂd keep the HC EMLA 26 far away from the damper area.

Wow this was a long question. Sorry about that.

Thanks as always,

-Glenn

Comments (10)