SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgarden

Planting fruit trees in heavy clay in MD and apple/pear rootstock

lindsgarden
13 years ago

Hello all,

Recently I attempted to test the drainage of the area where I am planning on planting apples, pears, plums, figs, persimmons, etc once I get a fence up. The Eastern Garden Book recommended digging a hole then filling it with water twice . . . the second time if the water drains in an hour or less that supposedly means that drainage is good.

I dug a hole about 18 inches deep and filled it with water for the first time . . . in about 2.5 hours the water was basically still all there (it drained about 2 inches). Maybe this was just a fluke or the water table is higher than usual, but the soil is basically clay. When planting trees that supposedly hate bad drainage, do other Maryland gardeners amend their soil, plant trees on top of a berm, or just stick the trees in the soil without any particular special treatment? There seem to be two different schools of thought when it comes to planting (1- Amend, 2- Do not Amend) so I'm curious what has worked for others in my area.

Also, Maryland fruit growers, what rootstocks do you favor for apples and pears? Space is an issue and I'm not up to grafting so I'm thinking M26, M27, Bud-9, or Supporter 4 for apples, then quince or some type of OHxF for pears.

Here is the link to my original forum post: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg082104537914.html?16724&pp_user=lindsgarden&pp_ticket=ivYSIrLKGGV%2FE

Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)