SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fl_person

Guest Bath - Shower Door or Curtain?

FL Person
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm renovating a small guest bath with an alcove tub. I'm doing tile up to 48" around the room and tile to the ceiling around the tub. In the six years I've been in this house, the previous guest shower was used a handful of times.

A shower curtain is obviously the most cost effective option but my concerns are a dated look and obscuring the new tile from being a focal point. A shower curtain, I think, also lends to making a small space feel smaller.

I'm considering a single swinging, frameless glass door. It's not feasible to use a combination fixed panel with a swinging door due to the position of the toilet. It would have to be the type that hinges on the wall and only extends about half the length of the tub, leaving about half length of the tub open (eg. Dreamline Aqua Uno).

While I think this is the best option from an appearance and cost perspective, these doors are not the best from a functional perceptive. They allow water to splash out of the tub/shower area.

The other option is a frameless sliding door that fully encloses the tub. But beside the additional cost, these doors typically anchor, in-part, to the tub itself and I'm not sure the acrylic tub is structurally up to the task.

Thoughts?

Comments (13)