SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

en-suite guest bath...does it have to have a door?

melissastar
10 years ago

I'm planning the addition of a small bathroom (approx. 5X10.5) to a guest bedroom. The bathroom would be accessed only through the bedroom, through one of the two existing windows...unfortunately, the one which lets the most light into the bedroom.

The layout contemplated is very simple: entrance is in the center of one long wall. Vanity/sink directly opposite. Bath/shower combo alcove-style to the right along a short wall. To the left of the entry, a pony wall with commode behind it. I intend to use high clerestory windows around three sides of the bathroom to let in as much light as possible, while protecting privacy (it's at the back of an urban rowhouse, on the second story)
. I'd like to leave the bathroom open to the bedroom, with no door at all, to keep the bedroom as light filled as possible. I've lived in a master bedroom with a bathroom that was open to it, but had a separate doored-off area for the commode. This would only have a pony wall, but the commode wouldn't be visible from anywhere in the bedroom.
And, as it's a guest room, the vanity/sink would presumably be attractive and not cluttered up with the usual grooming stuff.

Would I be crazy to do this? Would guests likely think it weird?

Comments (14)